C.F.O III 50th Anniversary Reel

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

AlexP
Master Guide

C.F.O III 50th Anniversary Reel

Post by AlexP »

Hello,

I have just seen this news on the limited edition of a CFO III 50th Anniversary.

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/chec ... rsary-reel

I do not have any Orvis reels, primarily favoring Hardy's, but I am curious as to how these limited editions work. The price for the reel based on only 165 limited run was $398 and it is out of stock. Do they offer them to dealers and / or long time customers first?

Fair to assume that some go to collectors and others buy them as an investment to resell in the future?

Thanks

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: C.F.O III 50th Anniversary Reel

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

So this got posted earlier here - viewtopic.php?f=67&t=140044

However - this link had a few photos... here is one :

I cannot tell who is making them off these pictures.

I would say they are probably SOLD OUT even before being offered and yes for the reasons you mentioned.
But I am gonna scratch and fight to get one.
Just to hear this little scream and whine too.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Thanks, I did a quick look at the forum to see if there was a thread, but should had actually use the search function.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Orvis anniversary items are almost never a good investment. It will be another 50 years before these reels are going to bring $400 on the secondary market.

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Post by Cross Creek »

Way to make me feel old, lol…..

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I’m not exactly feeling like a spring chicken either 🐔

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

AlexP wrote:
11/04/21 12:35
Hello,

I have just seen this news on the limited edition of a CFO III 50th Anniversary.

I do not have any Orvis reels, primarily favoring Hardy's, but I am curious as to how these limited editions work. The price for the reel based on only 165 limited run was $398 and it is out of stock. Do they offer them to dealers and / or long time customers first?

Fair to assume that some go to collectors and others buy them as an investment to resell in the future?

Thanks
The term, Limited Edition implies a desperate attempt at creating a seller's market by controlling the supply. Few production fly reels can be purchased as an investment and this is probably not one of them. The 165 of them that are being made represent one for each year of Orvis's existence.

My sources tell me they were made by Douglas.

jroehl

Post by jroehl »

PYochim wrote:
11/04/21 21:11
AlexP wrote:
11/04/21 12:35
Hello,

Thanks
The term, Limited Edition implies a desperate attempt at creating a seller's market by controlling the supply. Few production fly reels can be purchased as an investment and this is probably not one of them. The 165 of them that are being made represent one for each year of Orvis's existence.

My sources tell me they were made by Douglas.
Douglas does not make these from a source I know of that contacted Douglas and asked, FWIW.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

So if Douglas doesn’t make them, who does? I stopped at Orvis In Jackson today and they didn’t know either. Abel? They asked if I wanted to be put on a list. I declined. I did buy a dog bed.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

IMHO, $398 is not out of line with other made in USA or made in England reels, so even without it being a LE reel, if you wanted a gold colored reel, you're not actually paying much of a premium for the LE aspect. It would look good on a Fenwick and is priced less than the Douglas Argus if I'm not mistaken.

In his book, Leigh Perkins mentions the dog beds being one of Orvis' best sellers

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

I believe these will be made in the same machine shop in NH which makes the Mirage reel.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

On another forum there is a similar discussion of these and both Douglas and Abel were ruled out. That means likely the shop which makes the Mirage as Short Tip mentioned. I have a Mirage and it's very, very nicely made, so that's a good sign.

Someone on the other forum also asked about other versions becoming available and the reply from Orvis was that there will be a cataloged CFO (not limited edition) like this, but in black in 2022. They didn't say it was just the III or not, but it sure would be nice if they would add a II and IV to the lineup.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

They're taking pre-orders for the standard version. I wish it was closer to the original gray, but I can live with the color and the price seems reasonable ($329) assuming the quality is what it should be. If it's made by the shop making the Mirage reels it should be excellent. I certainly don't need another CFO III but might just order one anyway...not sure if they have extra spools listed yet, but they do say the spools are not backwards compatible with older reels. Their listed line weights of 5-7 is pretty optimistic. I think it's a stretch to put a 6wt on a CFO III, and 7wt is simply too much. Not only that, but the reel isn't going to balance heavier rods in most cases.

https://www.orvis.com/cfo-iii-reel/3C9F.html

RBishop
Sport

Post by RBishop »

I will just keep fishing my old screw back CFOs and be happy! Glad Orvis is making these available though.

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

RBishop wrote:
11/17/21 15:50
I will just keep fishing my old screw back CFOs and be happy! Glad Orvis is making these available though.
I have a growing CFO collection, and my first screwback, a CFO II is arriving at home today. I am interested in the new issue above, but have been on a bit of a reel buying bender, and need to calm right down.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Sadly it appears that they have gone to the thicker reel foot ala Hardy's current production that may not fit a lot of our cap and ring reel seats properly. I expect their marketing people tell them that all the "traditionalists" will buy them to put on those ugly Helios big white billboard things they sell.

Orvis used to make some very nice understated, classic tackle, rods that bent and looked like fly rods, and the CFO reels. It is a shame that they got away from the products and the style that made their company a name in fly fishing.

I will keep fishing my old cast Hardy CFO IV's and my various CFO III's

...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Caneghost wrote:
11/18/21 07:18
Sadly it appears that they have gone to the thicker reel foot ala Hardy's current production that may not fit a lot of our cap and ring reel seats properly.

Orvis used to make some very nice understated, classic tackle, rods that bent and looked like fly rods, and the CFO reels. It is a shame that they got away from the products and the style that made their company a name in fly fishing.
The reel foot looks pretty similar to the one on the Abel version. I have one and the foot is tall in profile but is actually fairly thin in cross section. I tried it on a couple of rods with small cork and ring seats and it worked...not with much to spare, but I'd give it a try. Hopefully the new version is at least similar to that.

To be fair, I think the pending normal version in black is pretty understated. It's certainly closer to the classic look than the bluish hue of the Abel reels.

I'm just glad Orvis now has a classic made in the U.S. spring and pawl reel that is a fitting pairing with their cane and glass rods!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Caneghost wrote:
11/18/21 07:18
They make what sells.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Interesting rivets...

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

The original CFO was designed by Stanley Bogdan. I've not looked at a lot of them. Are the re-issued ones consistent with the original design?

Return to “Classic Reels”