Ogden Smith - London

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Reeldane
Master Guide

Ogden Smith - London

Post by Reeldane »

Here's another 3" OS I have difficulties with ? Reel marked " Ogden Smith - 62 St. James Str. which could be between 1918 and 1955 according to Graham Turner - anyone have some more info ?ImageImageImage

Thanks in advance
Reeldane

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Ogden Smith - London

Post by bulldog1935 »

Heaton made without doubt,
but it's Ogden Smiths, for the Smith brothers, who ran the smithy for the widow Ogden from 1895.
That specific Heaton model is not in the the 1935 Heaton wholesale catalog, and you may find better dates if you check Turner's book for the equivalent model in the Allcocks catalog.
I believe the casting originated about 1916.

However, this may also be the reel in my '37 OS cat.

In fact, this looks like a page of Heaton reels.

there should be a leather washer below your centrebrake thumbnut.
Image Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

DoctorFly
Master Guide

Ogden Smith - London

Post by DoctorFly »

I'd say it was made by Reuben Heaton in the 1930s.

Here's the same reel, unmarked and with a different handle.

Regards,

Doc

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Ogden Smith - London

Post by bulldog1935 »

and come to think of it, it probably is this Heaton 212 from my '35 Heaton catalog - just finished out with different center screw and brake options

Author

Ogden Smith - London

Post by Author »

Can Anyone help with my Research on Ogden, Smiths & Hussey ?

I'm researching the English gun making company Ogden Smiths & Hussey Limited (company number 186819) formed in January 1923 when Henry H. Hussey (son of the gunmaker Henry J. Hussey late of Lang & Hussey and H J Hussey Ltd.) joined with Walter Sydney Ogden Smith, members of the Ogden Smith family (Amy and Mabel Ogden Smith) and a Florence Richardson to form the company which bought out Ogden Smiths Limited.

The intention is that the history of Ogden Smiths & Hussey will form part of a book I'm preparing on all the gun making companies involving the Hussey's: lang & Hussey, H J Hussey, H H Hussey, Hussey & Hussey, Harrison & Hussey, Ogden Smiths & Hussey. I was co-author of a book on Cogswell & Harrison published in 2000.

I have copies of the records from Companies House which although they show shares ownership, registration of company details such as adresses etc., etc. they don't give anything of real interest about the company products etc. What I would like help with is details of the fishing tackle business prior to 1923 plus anyone who is kind enough to let me use photo's of old tackle and/or catalogues as illustrations (all such images will be acknowledged) and anything post 1923 that mentions the change of name and/or the diversification into sporting firearms.

Can anyone help ?

enigma309
Bamboo Fanatic

Ogden Smith - London

Post by enigma309 »

I have a reference to a Hussey in Joe Manton's day; ie pre 1835. Same family?
There is a chapter in Teasdale-Buckell's book on Joe Lang if that helps.

PM me for more info
Brian

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Ogden Smith - London

Post by bulldog1935 »

http://www.internetgunclub.com/general/history.php

if you haven't already tried it, these guys have a huge database, and a fairly expensive two-week membership to research it.

george caswell

Ogden Smith - London

Post by george caswell »

#10003, Ogden Smiths & Hussey Ltd., 62 St. James's Street, Piccadilly, London S. W.: A Doggone Nice Ogden Smiths & Hussey Boxlock Ejector  12 Bore Game Gun Made in 1928 with 30" Ejector Dovetail Lump Barrels, Hidden Third Bite, Birmingham Nitro Proved at Original 1 1/4 ounce, Original 2 3/4" chambers and so marked, The bores at .736 .010 & .016" (Imp.Cyl & Mod.), Wall thickness on the right barrel at .0355" and the left at .037", Scalloped action back, Double triggers with the front articulated, Splinter forend with an Anson release, Straight hand stock at 14 5/8 x 1 3/8 x 2 1/16" over a 11/16" leather pad with plugs for removal, Cast-Off for the right hand, 6 lbs. 10 oz., Nice wood, Flats off the back of the action with teardrops, 90% coverage of very nice scroll engraving, Every screw is in excellent shape and they lay north & south, It retains 40% original case colors, The barrels retain 88-90% blue and it appears to me that it is original blue with the barrel striking as sharp as you could hope for, The buttstock and forend remain at 94% with very light handling marks, The checkering remains at 98%, The bores are excellent plus. The whole is cased in a very nice leather trunk of fairly good size with a lift-out tray for accessories, it has accessories and a proper trade label. This trunk case appears to be an original case to the gun and is in like condition to the gun. This friends is one flat out honest Pre-War British boxlock from the Golden Era of modern British guns in 1928. It has great bores and chokes, correct 2 3/4" chamber length, 1 1/4 ounce proof, third bite, great wall thickness, a lot of engraving and a whole bunch of life left in it.

Ogden Smiths & Hussey formed in either 1921 or 1923 when Henry H. Hussey (son of the gunmaker Henry Joseph Hussey and assistant manager at H&H in the 1890's) joined with Walter Sydney Ogden Smith, members of the Ogden Smith family (Amy and Mabel Ogden Smith) and remained as such until 1933. Ogden Smiths was well known for very high quality fishing tackle. Previously Henry Hussey formed the company of Harrison & Hussey in 1919 and was closed in 1930. In the 1930's Hussey joined with Atkin, Beesley, Hellis, Watson Bros. and Lancaster. In 1960 the firm was operating as Atkin, Grant & Lang and by 1971 it was Churchill, Atkin, Grant & Lang.

Thank
you for your interest in Champlin Firearms.

George L.
Caswell[/i]

www.champlinarms.com

580-237-7388

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Ogden Smith - London

Post by bulldog1935 »

we've also become smarter about this particular reel -  made by Smith & Wall

Eton Sun
Guide