1903 Bougle' clarification - please

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

1903 Bougle' clarification - please

Post by Short Tip »

Exactly right!

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 1903 Bougle' clarification - please

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

12 years later but here is some clarification...

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

Hardy the Bouglé replica 1903 came on the market 1998, 1000 individual numbered reels 3" only. The reels came in a leather-box, with a little booklet and packed in for the time ordinary white/blue paper-box. A little later, some month, came a similar production of 1000 numbered reels this time stamped with USA in the inside too. Great fly reels build almost as the originals (1903-1939?)( now machined, not cast as before). The surface on the replicas looks very much as the originals, that you can,t say about the Hardy Bouglés that came after the replicas! Great value for your money. The original Hardy Bouglés are rare reels, very expensive and often quite worn, so I think a replica can be a good and safe buy.

Image[/å
The Hardy Bougle`Baby first came on the market 2002 I think. Made for the USA market? I need some help here, so Please confirm or Correct me. At the same time came for the Japanese market the Hardy Bougle`Lightweight I and II and the Hardy Bougle` Agate I and II.250 of each were made.The no. I is the same size as the Hardy Bouglé Baby 21/2" but with "teardrop-pattern" on the spool. Very rare items all three of them. The No.II were made in 250 samples each, my guess is that in the no. I size probably fewer were made. I have seen a later model of the Hardy Bouglé Baby 2010? (a guess of mine) but its much more shiny as all of the modern Hardy-reels are. Good hunting! // Steen

[url=https://postimg.cc/mt2LC7pV]Image

J Gustavsson
Master Guide

Post by J Gustavsson »

Just to complicate things even further the 1903 replicas are actually a bit smaller than 3"
The originals I have seen measured 3" across the pillars whilst these replicas are probably more like 2 7/8" across the pillars
Vintage hardy reels can vary a bit since they where hand made.
But the modern reels are machined with cnc machines and are very consistent.

Skickat från min VOG-L29 via Tapatalk

Last edited by J Gustavsson on 04/17/21 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

and them ones with cutouts and the green are real pretty - bet it would look good on any rod... blue is strange though... post # 17

10 of Blue prototypes in 1998 viewtopic.php?f=72&t=4117
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

FWIIW, a local shop had an unused version of the 1903 replica for sale for $750 and they no longer have it, so it likely sold for that price or best offer. I liked the Finish, but it really is a small reel and of course RHW only

Return to “Classic Reels”