Marbleized Leonard Salmon Reel ... Before & After ...

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Randy Law
Guide

Post by Randy Law »

Superb Dean, Can I send you some of the Reels that I find

Randy Law
hardyguy
British Columbia, Canada

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

Reelsmith,

Very nice job cleaning it up. I bet the owner is pretty pleased. I was watching that reel as well and it was pretty dirty. What kind of drag mechanism is in it (similar to Vom Hofe)?
-Holireels-

spey
Sport

Post by spey »

From what I know the site plates are not made from ebonite like the EVH, the are made from some sort of early plastic. I would like to see some photos from the inside.
spey

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Randy Law wrote:Superb Dean, Can I send you some of the Reels that I find

Randy Law
hardyguy
British Columbia, Canada
Hey Randy.

If you have a reel that needs cleaning, send me pictures of the front, back, side (spool) and bottom and I'll let you know if I can help and provide a quote.

Dean.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Holireels wrote:Reelsmith,

Very nice job cleaning it up. I bet the owner is pretty pleased. I was watching that reel as well and it was pretty dirty. What kind of drag mechanism is in it (similar to Vom Hofe)?
-Holireels-
The click is fixed and is comprised of a pawl and a U-shaped spring. The adjustable drag lever on the back lifts/lowers a large metal ring that applies friction to the spool.

Dean.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

spey wrote:From what I know the site plates are not made from ebonite like the EVH, the are made from some sort of early plastic. I would like to see some photos from the inside.
spey
The inside is marbleized and looks like the outside. The material is referred to as hard rubber in their catalogs and having worked with it on a few occasions, I think that information is correct.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Dean,
Is that the Edward Payne patent, # 432,764 of 7/22/1890 (assigned to Mills), or a Philbrook patent?
Or, someone other if neither of the first two are correct?
Charlie
"History has a beloved cousin who has the family eyes and nose
but is a rather different creature - myth." Ken Cameron,
The American Fly Fisher, v. 28, n. 1, Winter, 2002, (AMFF, Manchester, Vt., 2002).

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

cwfly wrote:Dean,
Is that the Edward Payne patent, # 432,764 of 7/22/1890 (assigned to Mills), or a Philbrook patent?
Or, someone other if neither of the first two are correct?
Charlie
Nice work Charlie !

That is it.

When you slide the lever on the back of the reel the ring raises and pushes the tabs (which I forgot to mention in my reply to Holireels) so they contact the spool. It's very well executed. If I have time tonight, I will unpack the reel, disassemble it and provide a picture. No promises, but I'll try to get to it. I have to return the reel tomorrow.

Dean.

troutist
Guide

Post by troutist »

Wow, Dean, great job!! You may find yourself so busy from cleaning quality reels now that you won't have time to collect your neat 'smalls'. Image

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Dean, The reel is both a remarkable demonstration of your skills in the conservation work you did and the creativity of Edward F. Payne then living in Central Valley. For those interested in dates (particularly the compressed 1899-1890 period) it might be noted that the patent for this reel was applied for 9/14/1899 and issued 7/22/1890; George I. Varney, living in Central Valley, applied for his ferrule patent 9/3/1899 - issued 3/4/1890. Loman Hawes, living in Central Valley, applied for his ferrule patent on 2/26/1890 - issued 5/27/1890; Eustis W. Edwards, living in Central Valley, applied for his ferrule patent on 1/27/1890 - issued 5/6/1890; Fairly busy period of creativity for the lads, either barely still with, or formerly of Leonard/Mills.
"History has a beloved cousin who has the family eyes and nose
but is a rather different creature - myth." Ken Cameron,
The American Fly Fisher, v. 28, n. 1, Winter, 2002, (AMFF, Manchester, Vt., 2002).

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Here is a picture of the inside of the back plate. Note that beneath the tab on the left and above the tab on the right there is a stepped incline that the tabs ride up on when you slide the switch on the back of the reel. The higher the tabs go the stronger their drag on the spool.

The only thing I cleaned on the inside were the bearings, to which I added oil when I was done. I also put a drop of oil behind the pawl so it can swing freely and a light coating on the spring to keep the steel from rusting. I did not touch any of the screws that are anchored in the hard rubber as I saw no need to take the chance.

I've always thought highly of these reels and the opportunity to disassemble one has only raised my level of respect. They are incredibly well made, machined to tight tolerances, are finely finished, well designed and of course, gorgeous.

Dean.

pcg
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by pcg »

Dean: Kudos! Bravo! Just gorgeous work (& it's a pleasure seeing such nice photos of a masterfully crafted reel).
Author:
"Playing With Fire, The Life and Fly Rods of E.W. Edwards"
"D Is For Dingley, The Master Reelmaker" (co-author, Brian Taylor)

dennis
Master Guide

Post by dennis »

Dean,
Thank you for sharing the photos. A real reel learning opportunity with all the photo angles.
Do you know if the new owner plans to fish the reel? Is it too expensive to risk?

Dennis

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Wonderful job, Dean!

Isn't it fun and satisfying to bring a reel back from the brink?
Thanks for sharing the super photos.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

dennis wrote:Dean,
Thank you for sharing the photos. A real reel learning opportunity with all the photo angles.
Do you know if the new owner plans to fish the reel? Is it too expensive to risk?

Dennis
Thanks Pat, Dennis and Scott ...I appreciate it.

Dennis, the owner has no plans to fish the reel ...it is just too risky given the potential value of the reel.

Dean.

reelhimin
Master Guide

Post by reelhimin »

Dean, I want to be sure I understand the drag. It's the tabs that provide the drag on the spool correct?
Thanks for the picture. I have wondered for a long time how that drag works.
Gary.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

reelhimin wrote:Dean, I want to be sure I understand the drag. It's the tabs that provide the drag on the spool correct?
Thanks for the picture. I have wondered for a long time how that drag works.
Gary.
Hi Gary.

Yes, the tabs drag on the spool ...specifically, the spots I have marked with red asterisks in the picture below.

Dean.

reelhimin
Master Guide

Post by reelhimin »

Thanks Dean. That reel is so cool. Gary.

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

Reelsmith,

Thanks for sharing the pics. I assume, once the drag is applied, it applies pressure to the spool either way the reel is engaged....no one way action. Also, looks like the side plates are press fitted / pinged with a punch to hold in place. Are there signs of pinning with small pins though the side rings into the rubber as well? I'd like to make one, but maybe with a better drag.......thanks again for sharing.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

I assume, once the drag is applied, it applies pressure to the spool either way the reel is engaged....no one way action.

Yes.

Also, looks like the side plates are press fitted / pinged with a punch to hold in place.

I think so. I could not determine how the plates were held in place. There was nothing obvious.

Are there signs of pinning with small pins though the side rings into the rubber as well?

Not that I could see.

Return to “Classic Reels”