Willow Creek Fly reels

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

dqatar
Guide

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by dqatar »

Has any body out there has any Experiences with Willow Creek fly reels, there website looks Real Good and there Reels looks Fantastic

basingp
Sport

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by basingp »

I have seen and handled them up at the Camp Sherman Store (Oregon) and at the Metolius Bamboo Fair a couple of weeks ago where the reps had a table set up. Although they feel smooth and may be made very well(??), they are, in my opinion, very inferior in visual craftsmanship and look cheap. The models with flowers (real) and other decorations on the side plates look as if they have had resin poured on them to fill up the area to the rim. The holes for the screws haven't been tapped and therefore look as if they are pushed into the resin with an uneven surface. The laser cut one they had on display, looked a bit better, but still looked laser cut and not hand finished or smoothed out. The bi-metal reel is nice looking but I believe still doesn't match up to equally priced reels on the market.

All-in-all, for the money they are asking, i don't believe it is worth it.

The LORD bless and keep you... garypaul {

Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not depend on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 2 Cor 1:9
The LORD bless and keep you... garypaul <'(((>{

Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not depend on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. 2 Cor 1:9

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I wonder if they are USA made and will improve with constructive critcism or if they are overseas models that will always be of mediocre quality.

Brian
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

They are most certainly pricey PYochim... but I will give them credit for being original and somewhat sexy / attractive.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

basingp
Sport

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by basingp »

My understanding is that they are designed in the USA, but prduced overseas. However, this is what I heard through a third party. The looks of the reel, when you give it a detailed going over, seem more to be from outside then any quality reel I have seen made in the USA.
The LORD bless and keep you... garypaul <'(((>{

WW
Master Guide

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by WW »

Are you guys referring to Willow Classic Reels?
Occupy Skagit 4/06/2013

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by bulldog1935 »

I know that zhu's is working overtime these days to provide custom designs to people who want them.

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum?topic=9896

even as far as Philbrook/Payne-inspired marbelized side plates.

two observations on the Willow Classic reels website.

Nowhere does it say made it the US.

The language really loses something in the translation.
Image Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

JR SPEY
Guide

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by JR SPEY »

Since I was a prospective dealer about this time last year I specifically asked about the origin.  They are made in South Korea.  I've spent some time fishing one and have no problems with it from that prospective.  I think they are beautiful and well thought out, although I have only seen the ebony version that I've used.  One of the co-owners told me they are looking at ways to produce them in the US, and I think if they can do that and keep the quality at least a good as it is now and not have to increase the price too much, they may have a winner on their hands.  I can truthfully say that their quality had nothing to do with my decision to not add them to my lineup.  The economy has most of us in this business  rather spooked, and I've simply made a decision to not add any new reelmakers or inventory until we can sort out where things are headed.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by bulldog1935 »

here's a pretty one posted on FFR

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum?topic=14093

FWdB
Master Guide

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by FWdB »

bulldog1935 wrote:here's a pretty one posted on FFR
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum?topic=14093
Really pretty combination, lovely looking reel.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by bulldog1935 »

while the wood is pretty, I would love to see marbled resins even more

LanceLloyd

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by LanceLloyd »

This is my first post so forgive me if I violate any forum decorum. I wanted clarify some information and defend the craftsmanship and integrity of the reel maker. For the record I do rep for Willow.

Mystic Outdoors, in Michigan, owns and run Willow Classic Reels. Each reel has a lifetime warranty handled right here in the US and every bit of constructive feedback is taken into consideration to refine the reels. As mentioned the reels are made in South Korea, but are handcrafted by a guy who is a retired aerospace machinist and he knows how to work metal. The reels are not production runs and there is no CNC machining - all are lathed and made to be heirloom reels that our great-grandchildren will fish with. Craftsman can be found in many places around the world.

For the reels with wood plates, they are UV two part protected epoxy (Ultra Violet) with marbled resin handles. Fastener holes are tapped and not pushed into the resin nor is the resin poored into the face like what has been stated. custom reels are available for folks wanting differents woods, designs, or materials. They are created by someone with an eye for detail and a personal love of craftsmanship and as much effort is put into the inside of the reel as the outside.

For those curious about the insides, drag is a bi-directional clicker:

Last edited by LanceLloyd on 08/27/10 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

afgantrout
Bamboo Fanatic

Willow Creek Fly reels

Post by afgantrout »

LanceLloyd,  That looks like very fine craftsmanship, indeed.  I'd be proud to own and fish one of these reels.

Return to “Classic Reels”