My Latest PROJECT

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

greenwell
Master Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by greenwell »

[img]
Last edited by greenwell on 11/29/18 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

eotr
Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by eotr »

Chris

Those are excellent work!  Thanks for posting the great photos.
Brent

greendrake ll
Bamboo Fanatic

My Latest PROJECT

Post by greendrake ll »

Those are absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Image
Will

greenwell
Master Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by greenwell »

[quote=

Last edited by greenwell on 11/29/18 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

spencesbridge

My Latest PROJECT

Post by spencesbridge »

DoctorFly
Master Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by DoctorFly »

Chris,

Very nice indeed!

Regards,

Doc

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

My Latest PROJECT

Post by Silver Doctor »

One word, Stunning

dennis
Master Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by dennis »

It is always a great pleasure to see your work. Thank you for sharing.

I like the muted finish on the back reel in your first photo -- more of an in-the-white look and less spitfire. Is it the same material with just a different polish work?

Regards,
Dennis

Cute dog... 
Last edited by dennis on 09/04/10 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

Kenov
Master Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by Kenov »

Absolutely beautiful.

greenwell
Master Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by greenwell »

[quote=

Last edited by greenwell on 11/29/18 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Boris
Master Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by Boris »

Wow, they are very nice reels, refined work. But they also look sturdy & solid. Thanks for the pictures.

afgantrout
Bamboo Fanatic

My Latest PROJECT

Post by afgantrout »

Gosh!  This is one exciting thread!  The reels are exciting but the subsequent discussion is even more so!

Piglegs
Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by Piglegs »

Hi Chris H,
You are plainly talented in what you do, as your photos show. As a collector though, and as you will have gathered from other recent threads on this subject, I am still worried about misrepresentation about repaired and restored reels. I'm not suggesting you do, but others might exploit your talent to their own advantage. Disclosure of your work must be the watchword otherwise it - albeit well done - will eventually impact on our hobby and investments as they get re circulated in the market place as the 'real deal' and devalue the real mint collectibles.
It is a subject that has also hit the press - I can't get any close ups of  the text, but i've reproduced a couple of pages from the recent edition of the classic Angling Mag. I hope I'm not breaching copyright by doing this so moderators please note and delete if necessary. I think the best way of reading the pieces is to save the pictures to your own pc by right clicking and then you should be able to zoom in on them. At least the auction houses seem to be taking it seriously at last. Here are the articles:

FWdB
Master Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by FWdB »

Thank you very much Piglegs for sharing these pages with the forum. They reflect exactly how I feel about experts, auction houses and major collectors having to take responsibility for keeping this wonderful hobby of ours as clean as reasonably possible. I'm very glad to see that they do realise that, no matter the general sentiment among the experts on this forum about the caveat emptor-principle.

greenwell
Master Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by greenwell »

[quote="t
Last edited by greenwell on 11/29/18 14:13, edited 2 times in total.

restoration
Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by restoration »

Last edited by restoration on 10/10/12 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorFly
Master Guide

My Latest PROJECT

Post by DoctorFly »

Chris,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I always had the impression that you are an ex-Hardy reelmaker, and from this thread that you are about to make reels on your own.

I don't think you have ever claimed your work to be that of another, or been involved in any "dodgy" restorations.

I believe that some of the comments here are from those who are mistaken, because you have not made your identity or position clear, and they would be the first to apologise to you.

And, if you are about to make Perfect type reels in the UK, and it's marvellous news, then that will be three of you (including Hardy) to my knowlege. Just like London buses, nothing for ages, then three in a bunch. Image

Regards,

Doc

MFRS
Bamboo Fanatic

My Latest PROJECT

Post by MFRS »

I had to think about this for a bit and seen that Chris has done nothing wrong that I can see.  This is not for us, as members, to scrutinize the integrity of another members personal work.  He has done some beautiful work that can possible make available Hardy-like reels available to more people. Since the avenues for reel buying at places like Mullocks are doing the sifting of questionable reels then the collector should be more satisfied and can be more safe in the feeling that their investment is being protected. 

This is like knock-offs is it not, I can choose to buy name-brand or not.   I love the idea that people like Chris are out there and available.  Chris, I would pay $500 for your reel, this is based on the  value it would have , for me, weighed against the other similiar reels on the market.  It may not be a good price to you because of the time you have to invest in a bench-made reel but that is what I can justify.....  As memebers on this forum have witnessed, in the past, I do not follow the group theology, at home, and on a forum. I like to feel I can be open minded to new ideas and express them, Chris I like your work.  

In reality, there are lots of PM's about a subject that could be both negative and positive, on this forum I had the impression that members were to be gentlemen to each other.  When someone posts on this forum to get a feedback (price) it would be nice, courteous, to answer as Chris gave to us and asked something in return.  I know that throwing a price out there can be insulting because of lowballing but no matter what you have in mind, this is the amount I would pay right now.
Gary
Last edited by Guest on 09/05/10 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

steel2afly
Sport

My Latest PROJECT

Post by steel2afly »

Very nice machining work no doubt. Im just a little confused. Doesnt Hardy hold patents on such things as the 1912 check. And wouldnt reproducing and selling for profit not only a hardy 1912 check reel but any other copy of a reel with patents be violating some sort of laws. I dont know Im just curious. If I was an employer that produced a patented item and one of my ex employees started reproducing my product and selling it Im not quite sure how I would act but it would probably start with a call to my lawyers...

MFRS
Bamboo Fanatic

My Latest PROJECT

Post by MFRS »

steel2afly wrote:Very nice machining work no doubt. Im just a little confused. Doesnt Hardy hold patents on such things as the 1912 check. And wouldnt reproducing and selling for profit not only a hardy 1912 check reel but any other copy of a reel with patents be violating some sort of laws. I dont know Im just curious. If I was an employer that produced a patented item and one of my ex employees started reproducing my product and selling it Im not quite sure how I would act but it would probably start with a call to my lawyers...
Compliments to Akroyd for this older reply to a similiar question:

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?&t=23048?page=3

Return to “Classic Reels”