Bogdan RHW to LHW how hard is it ?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

timsfly
Sport

Post by timsfly »

I have a right hand wind standard trout, it is RHW now, and I want to change it to LHW.
Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

WatercolorMan
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WatercolorMan »

As I understand it Stan made them to go one way or the other, the buyers choice when ordering.

"When ordering you must specify either right or left hand retrieve as the direction cannot be changed."

Rick @ Westslope has this posted on his web site.

In Honor of Stan Bogdan

http://www.westslopefly.com/reels/bogdan.cfm

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by turtledoc »

IM STUCK IN TAMPA WAITING FOR THE WEATHER TO CLEAR TO FLY HOME SO AM USUING MY P HONE CANT TYPE MUCH AND WHICH WILL EXPLAIN ANY SPELLING MISHAPS.

ALAN IS CORRECT WHEN IT COMES TO SALMON REELS BUT CONVERTING A TROUT REEL IS FAIRLY EASY. YOU MIGHT FIND AN OLD THREAD WITH SOME SEARCHING OTHERWISE ILL POST DIRECTIONS WHEN I GET HOME TONIGHT. REST IN PEACE STAN. MARK B

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

This is fairly easy to do if you have a steady hand, are not going to force things, have a screw driver that fits right, i.e. it's not too large or too small nor is it too thin to not settle in the slot as you'll only bugger the screws. From the rear of the reel remove the 4 small screws and the oil cap then over a towel shake the reel toward towel and the rear plate and spool will pop out, move the spool to the side onto a paper towel as the gear will have grease on it and you want to put it back in correctly. What you will see is this:

At the top of the crescent moon shaped flat spring remove the screw that holds it in place, lift it out and rotate it 180 degrees L-R or R-L then place it back in and replace the screw, put the spool back in ensuring the gear is facing the rear plate, replace the rear plat and align the screw holes, replace the 4 screws and snug them (don't over torque them) then replace the oil cap and you are done, if the spool has line and backing pull it all out and wind it back on for LHW.

ttrotter
Global Moderator

Post by ttrotter »

Banjo, I like going in thru the handle side plate. No need to remove the handle, just the 4 small screws. Interesting in that my spring looks different than yours:
Mine probably is a later version? It is a 4wt reel.
Also, when you say "......rotate it 180 degrees L-R or R-L", is that the same thing as "flip it over..."?
Sorry for this lousy pic--best I could do on short notice :-)
Tom

fishnbanjo
The Canefather

Post by fishnbanjo »

Yeah, it's the same thing as flip it over but working as an engineering tech in nuclear engineering using the term flip it over would have raised eyebrows. Image You can do it from the front but if you have large fingers and thumb like I do that reel cage is too narrow.

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by turtledoc »

Tom...Banjos is a 3.25 inch reel which accounts for the difference in spring design.

ttrotter
Global Moderator

Post by ttrotter »

I got a couple friends that used to be engineers on the Norfolk & Southern RailroadImageImage
Interesting that not only do we have different springs, but different methods of installation.
Our resident expert needs to get back in town.
T

ttrotter
Global Moderator

Post by ttrotter »

Welcome back, Mark. Does that also account for the difference in installation method?

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by turtledoc »

Still in stormy Tampa......

timsfly
Sport

Post by timsfly »

the conversion worked out very well, thank you for all the info, they can be switched very eaisly, just had to be careful of
scratching the reel plates or buggering the screws, it looks just like new and is now LHW

Return to “Classic Reels”