ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Trouter
Sport

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by Trouter »

Can anyone tell me If these two companies are one in the same, or what relationship they have to one another, I have an interest in a ZYZ Raised pillar reel, looked real nice for a 3-4-5 weight PVC or silk line ...any info or comments would be appreciated ...tight lines and bent rods ... Paul

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by bow river »

paul

info or comments appreciated

you looking for all opinions or only the good ones , can't really say much on here , just add that you get what you pay for and buyer beware , pm me and i'll really tell ya what i think of them
Come book a fishing trip with me on Canada's best trout river , the world famous Bow River , also other fine mountain rivers , I collect old Hardys , Dingleys, Youngs , also buy sell & trade

fishingthefly
Master Guide

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by fishingthefly »

Like Rich says you can't go negative here.
Last edited by fishingthefly on 02/04/20 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by quashnet »

...I did get a couple of brand new ones in for repair.
Even a moderator can appreciate an artful turn of phrase.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Trouter
Sport

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by Trouter »

Rich, E-mail sent to your bowriveradventures.com.....thanks again ..paul

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by bulldog1935 »

Just the facts ma'amI didn't buy this, it was sent to me for repair - because the check was too stiffImage
came with enough grease for all your reelsImage
the white line inside the caliper spring is where the drag gear was cutting into the back plate.  Image
pretty reel, but I would go for a Ballan - it's the reel they copied.  
Image Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by bow river »

Trouter2 wrote:Rich, E-mail sent to your bowriveradventures.com.....thanks again ..paul
Paul should be enough info and posts here to judge yourself now ,  why don't you do a post and ask for opinions on the best reel for the buck '' your money ''  , say under $400 and you will get lots of good replys  ,  there is some good reels to be had for the money that will last you a long time compared to them ZHU or ZZZ  or ZXY  whatever they call themselves 

Come book a fishing trip with me on Canada's best trout river , the world famous Bow River , also other fine mountain rivers , I collect old Hardys , Dingleys, Youngs , also buy sell & trade

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by bow river »

bulldog1935 wrote:Just the facts ma'amI didn't buy this, it was sent to me for repair - because the check was too stiffImage
came with enough grease for all your reelsImage
the white line inside the caliper spring is where the drag gear was cutting into the back plate.  Image
pretty reel, but I would go for a Ballan - it's the reel they copied.  
you'll work on just about anything Ron  Image

Trouter
Sport

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by Trouter »

gentlemen, I want to thank you all for your expertise on this matter, as they do in football games when there is a questionable call, they go to the review... So after further review and consultation with you fine gentlemen I have decided to pass on the reel, it looked fine, felt fine, fit nicely on a 6'3 midge rod ... The thing that got my negative attention was the drag system, almost non existent, no pressure on spool, can't palm, can't play fish in the PAC NW with a system like that, I Need to put the fish on the reel ASAP....BUT!!! It was a much better product than the ZHU reels i have seen b4. the reel that Ron showed in his post was a zhu one I was interested in was a ZYZ so marked, it had perforated face plate and spool, the price was also reduced by$50...anyway I'm taking my hard earned cash and buying a Hardy LRH multiplier to add to my modest collection of Hardys made in England...its in fair condition with a spare spool..Hardys are going to worth some bucks now that they are cloning them in the far east..again thank to all that Pmd me ....Paul

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by bow river »

Paul

a very good and wise choice on your part ,

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by bulldog1935 »

bow river wrote:
you'll work on just about anything Ron  Image
I didn't exactly step up to it - it came along with a gaggle of reels from a friend, including some Young's to reverse and a SB 1190 which needed some attention.   I couldn't do much for it except clean it and add a washer to stand-off the rub.  
Here's the way I see it.  Somebody hand-building reels starts it out of love - love for the fishing.  It may grow into CNC and bring the cost down to the rest of us.  But copying a widget without any knowledge or understanding of how to use the widget and you get pretty, nonfunctional widgets.  

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

ZHU / ZYZ fly reels

Post by bulldog1935 »

hey - leave me out of this

here's what I want to work onImage

Return to “Classic Reels”