I have a "thing" for old Uniquas...

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

flyrodman
Master Guide

Re: I have a "thing" for old Uniquas...

Post by flyrodman »

Brian K. Shaffer wrote:
11/21/21 12:22
That is a beautiful reel above.
Love to see 4 screws holding the foot on there.

Would be to neat to see a 5inch Uniqua, or bigger...
Brian, a couple photos of the 4 screws holding the foot on

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

I’m going to speculate that the reel was a factory conversion. The original hole where the post was for the pawl and spring has been plugged. I’m just guessing, but had the reel started it’s life with this brake they would likely have not made it from an existing reel. That said, since the hole was plugged and the parts match other Hardy reels it was almost assuredly done by Hardy.

Modifications to reels are not that common and make for interesting conversation. I own a 3 1/2” Perfect with an auxiliary brake that was modified to have a plunger on the bottom to release the brake and allow it to free spoil like a center pin reel. I’m sure mine wasn’t done by Hardy but I will say it did take some skill to dream up the mod and actually do it.
Silver Doctor wrote:This Unqua has always been a headscratcher for me. Unqua reel with a factory brake. Have never been able to source it in any catalog, near as I can guess it was a special order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Amazing workmanship

LONG foot
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

The lever check a couple of posts back, seems to be an 'optional heavy duty check' offered by Hardy's. In Drewett's book one is also fitted to a St John, noted as such.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I have Uniqua envy. One of the few Hardys I’ve never owned. Love the looks of them.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I posted these photos in my sibling reels thread, but I may as well add them here with at bit of commentary. Notice that the leaded 3 1/8" Has scripting in two different areas, while the 2 7/8" enameled reel with regulator has all the scripting together in a single location. I've seen two other leaded 3 1/8" riveted screw latch reels with scripting in a single location and with a regulator, which I assume places those reels between my two with the progression: 1) leaded scripting in two locations; 2) leaded, scripting in a single location; 3) enameled scripting in a single location. All this within a short production span of something like 3 years. Update: disregard my progression as I just found a 3 3/8" enameled reel with scripting in two locations and a 2-screw latch, which came after the 2 rivet latch. It appears that Hardy had semi finished reels in their inventory and then finished them to meet orders.

Cheers,
Joe

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

Actually I´m not that interested in collecting Hardys Salmon reels but from time to time it can be a little hard not to be tempted.
Here I´ll present three Hardy Uniqua Salmons in the 41/4" size that found a home by me. From the left from around 1909/10 ( one of the first) The Hardy reel maker was TB = Tom Bates. In the middel a ported Hardy Uniqua from around 1923, no reel makers stamp in this but both spool and cage are stamped 13 so they are made together. At the right a Hardy Uniqua with the spool left in the white, it has a tension regulator (an optional extra from 1924 to 1939 + ca. 20% extra in cost for the buyer). The Hardy reel maker who made this good looking Hardy Uniqua reel was TA = Thomas Appleby at Hardys between 1920 to 1947. As it is a Hardy Salmon Uniqua with a tension regulatur it was registeret in the Hardy production book, and the reel was one of only 18 made in 1933. No other reels in this size and spool-locker are registret. Enjoy!

Last edited by sovereign on 09/15/22 20:56, edited 3 times in total.

KLNC
Guide

Post by KLNC »

Have seen that reel with the in the white spool before--really really like that one!
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Here's a rather scarce 2 7/8" Uniqua with: 1) check regulator, 2) 2-screw latch, and 3) makers initials - Jack Johnson who was active from 1938 to 1966 :-)

Cheers,
Joe

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

That reel is a real honey!

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
02/23/22 19:10
Here's a rather scarce 2 7/8" Uniqua with: 1) check regulator, 2) 2-screw latch, and 3) makers initials - Jack Johnson who was active from 1938 to 1966 :-)

Cheers,
Joe
And we can date your reel quite exakt I think, 1954 or may be a year more. One of the last to be stamped with the reel markers initials, and what a condition !

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Its glorious :eek

None better.

flyuvo
Guide

Post by flyuvo »

Hi all, found this 1911 check Uniqua. Does anybody knows anything about the stamped letter “J”?

Stay safe
Urs

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Congrats Malcolm....that’s a unique Uniqua and a fine example of JS’s craftsmanship.
Regards from Mann’s Pool....Jim

ReelPatina
Guide

Post by ReelPatina »

My little 2 5/8” Uniqua MKI Dup with its original box.

Imageupload an image

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

What a gorgeous example above.
So small.

Grip the WHITE handle.

fruininspokane

Post by fruininspokane »

A couple 4” Gems

Jimmy Smith 4” Spitfire

Jack Johnson 4” MKII

Im in need of a spare spring and pawl. If ya have one kicking around, shoot me a pn.

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Here is an unusual 1930 s ported 4 inch salmon model with a Mark I check. I fish for salmon and steelhead with this reel and here it is paired with a Playfair Vibration 13 foot greenheart rod and loaded with an Ian Moxon made Continuous Taper silk spey line.
This telephone latch Uniqua is designated as a DP II but it only has a single adjustable spring and pawl which is presently configured in LHW. The reel has several Hardy bespoke features.
The first is a unique adjustable aluminum rim control which is activated with a thumb lever. Rather than a brass rim control positioned on the lower frame, this lever is mounted on the top,,alongside the reel foot. This allows an angler to apply additional pressure, in left or RHW, without getting their fingers rapped by the spinning handle. The adjustable Mark I checks performance is enhanced with this thumb lever on a hard running salmon or while locking the reel while leading it into the net or onto a gravel bar.
The shape of the original ridged brass reel foot is also unique with its rounded ends. This shape is similar to the smooth surfaced rounded feet found on some rare 1905 check Salmon Perfects. I haven’t seen this shape on any of Hardy’s later ridged reel feet.
The handle has been customized into a triangular design with a three finger grip for better line control .This also appears to have been professionally done and doesn’t seem to have been a replacement.

Regards from the Restigouche....Jim
,dfēq

Last edited by 60InchDV8 on 03/10/23 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classic Reels”