I have a "thing" for old Uniquas...

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

There's just something about them.

Yes, they are the "basic" Hardy fly reel. They're not fancy. They're not perforated and most have fixed checks. Many have been "rode hard and put away wet", as they say.

But they all have that "classic" look. They're simple and handsome. And if you can find one with 85-90% original leading, Mk. I check and a full-length, original foot...well, grab it! (Too bad the camera washed out the nice, dark leading somewhat!)

This one's the smallest of the circa 1920 "salmon" Uniquas. 3 5/8" diameter with a 1 1/4" wide spool. For light salmon/grilse fishing, no doubt.

All original with Ivorine handle, horseshoe latch and 3 3/4" polished alloy foot. All this old Uniqua needed was a light cleaning and lubrication. Its frame and spool are marked "4B". It is tight and smooth and with the proper silk line, could be fished tomorrow.

And I will. Not tomorrow, but someday...

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 07/13/12 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

solitaryangle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: I have a "thing" for old Uniquas...

Post by solitaryangle »

Hi Scott, very nice reel! These old Uniquas have grown on me too over the years. Bill Archuleta has re-bushed many of these I'm sure. The smaller ones with the ivorine handles and horseshoe latches are my favorites.

Gary

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks, Gary!

Yes, I know what you mean about the trout size early Uniquas. Here's a photo of my 3 1/8" and 2 7/8" examples.

They just look "right" on classic cane rods!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

wiscoy
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wiscoy »

agreed Scott, they are nice reels, mine also awaits me to get off the dime and make a matching rod

i had originally thought the alloy foot was a replacement when I found it.

I also like the 3 1/8 for trout, I keep watching the smaller ones, it would make a nice set.
"It is better to tie one good fly in an hour than a dozen that would only be taken by a trout with a sense of humor"
Uncle Bill

Sparquero
Master Guide

Post by Sparquero »

Scott
I have the same size wide drum but may be a different era, has duplicated Mark II check with spare pawl & spring.
Uniquas do have a basic but classic look, have always been fond of non-perforated spools, tension regulators are nice too but rare.
Trout sizes are nice, saw an early one with a caliper check on the auction site, missed it though, got called to emergency work. Hope someone here won it, would like to see better pictures.
Center reel below is a 3 1/8" Mark I but has, I believe, a bone handle, may have been an option?

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

Here's one you might find interesting. I believe a factory custom addition. A lever that takes it from free wheeling to a nice clicker drag. The sound is quite deep and the action of the leaver very smooth. Kind of like a Uniqua & Silex combo.

Last edited by Silver Doctor on 10/13/16 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

solitaryangle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by solitaryangle »

Silverdoctor, that is indeed very unique (and super cool!). And it appears to be a very wide spool too. Thanks for posting photos of it. Before I do too much research, do you have a catalog scan of this particular configuration? I'm guessing one doesn't exist.

Gary

turtledoc
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by turtledoc »

Back before I became a total nut case for Bogdans...Hermanns, and Godfreys.....I was quite fond of Uniquas. I had a little 2 5/8th from the 50s that was a sweet little reel that I shouldn't have let go.

Also, probably should have kept this early 1900s little 3 1/8th Uniqua and the early St G

But...we can't keep everything :)

Mark B

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Nice Uniquas, guys.

Thanks and keep'em coming!!

Scott
Flyman615

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I was thinking the post-War Uniquas were a bit "too modern", but what the heck?
I like them too! Especially my little 2 7/8" with regulator.

Scott
Flyman615

Reeldane
Master Guide

Post by Reeldane »

Here's the biggest an early 4½" and the smallest I have 2 7/8" (looking for a 2 5/8"....!)
Heinz
ps: Silverdoctor - that's a great reel you got there - is it possible to see the backplate with the lever ?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Speaking of the smallest Uniqua, here's what I call a "mid era" 2 5/8" diameter, leaded example with telephone-style latch.

It's marked "H" inside and holds a modern WF-4-F nicely.

Scott
Flyman615

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Post by CaneCaster »

Flyman... You stole my thing!! :)

I just love the look, feel an functionality of the old Uniqua's, I think they are my favorite reels to fish as well as admire. I'll get some pics of the family tomorrow but here are a couple.

4" Tele latch, perforated spool Salmon Uniqua, stamped "H"
3 5/8" and 3 3/8" Tele latch Uniqua's, 3 5/8's has a tension regulator
3 1/2" Horseshoe latch, perforated spool, Salmon Uniqua.
Older pic with my 4", two 3 3/4" as well as a 3 1/2". A few have moved on to new homes with forum members here.

Gary @ Vintage Fly Tackle actually has one of my 3 1/2" tele latch Uniqua's on his site at the moment, badged for A&F, nice reel.... but too damn hard to justify 2 :(

I have been luck enough to find a 3 1/8" in the Tele latch as well that is being re-bushed at the moment.... I just love the Tele latch reels, just somethin about them..... ;)

Still lookin for a nice 4 1/4" to round out my Salmon reels.... damn hard to find tho.

J.
Last edited by CaneCaster on 07/17/12 22:51, edited 1 time in total.

WW
Master Guide

Post by WW »

turtledoc wrote:
But...we can't keep everything :)

Mark B
Whoa! Where did you hear that???
:)

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

solitaryangle wrote:Silverdoctor, that is indeed very unique (and super cool!). And it appears to be a very wide spool too. Thanks for posting photos of it. Before I do too much research, do you have a catalog scan of this particular configuration? I'm guessing one doesn't exist.
Gary
I've never been able to find a Catalog entry for it. Wish I did, it's a great reel, exceptionally smooth and yes very wide.

Last edited by Silver Doctor on 10/13/16 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

hdrmd
Master Guide

Post by hdrmd »

I agree. I love the small Uniquas. I have a 2 7/8 with a 3DT that I use on a Payne 96. It feels right. DR

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

OK, I'm admittedly somewhat biased, but overall I think the reel photography in this thread is simply outstanding!

Thanks, once more, guys. And keep posting those Hardy Uniquas!

Scott
Flyman615

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Mint 2 7/8" Duralumin or Hiduminium. Jimmy Smith

Post by oddsnrods »

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Post by CaneCaster »

Oddsnrods... Beautiful reel! Can you tell us/show us how the reel is stamped on the inside? Is it stamped with an upper case H at all?

J.

oddsnrods
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oddsnrods »

The inside is stamped J.S no other marks/letters. Adjustable check regulator would have cost five shillings extra. I would guess this reel is from the 1930's and is not of the usual 'dirty alloy' they used for leaded reels (no offence). I have a few other Hardy Hiduminium and Duralumin (stamped as such and not) reels and they have a particular long lasting 'ting' when you tap themwith a pencil. Also the metal is very bright, hard and has a slippery feel to it, they were not lacquered as far as I can tell, this reel has not been polished and would not benefit much from doing so. I like to think that fly reels like this little Uniqua could have been made from remaining molten metal in the crucible after a batch of Silex's or Mr Mallet pattern Longstones had been cast.

When Photobucket decides to let me, I will post a picture of the inside.

Malcolm

Return to “Classic Reels”