My Project

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

restoration
Guide

My Project

Post by restoration »

A lot of the great people I have done work for have been telling me I should make fly reels and I must admit the idea of making a reel from scratch did not appeal to me very much. Anyhow I started to think about this a long time ago and over those past months I asked my close friends and the guys I had restored reels for what would make for a good reel. I had a few ideas of my own as well and this is what I have come up with.

At the moment the reel has no name, it is a prototype and not quite finished and it has not been tested

yet.Image

This is some of the Basic Info -

3 3/4 Wide Drum Reel with an optional auxiliary brake system. Classic black leading on the bar stock aluminium frame, spool and w/plate. Gold plated revolving line guide. Twin (1912 check?) with reversible pawls which can be used in tandem or singular. Ivory handle (Ivory registered and certified in the EU as a legal purchased substance)

The reel weighs 333 grams/ 11.75 ounces but I will be reducing this the next time I work on the reel. I intend changing the profile in the frame - i.e.. curves on the pillars and the inside edges of the rim of the frame, to the same contours as a later Hardy Perfect frame.

When I have a little more time I hope to make ten units.

Enjoy and please feel free to make comments

Kindest regards to all - John

salmonfly
Guide

Re: My Project

Post by salmonfly »

Nice job, I love the look of that reel.
**** I ‘LL BE BACK IN 5, GONE FISHING, YOU JUST KEEP READING THIS EVERY 5 MINUTE !! ****

bow river
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bow river »

:hat

thats a great looking reel , should be a ball buster for stopping bigger fish John , double pawls is also a great ideal , love the check work , nice touch to make it more like all yours then just doing a copy of a perfect , nice that you can still put finger pressure on the front spool or use that lever for more brakes , :D

send it to me for testing bud and i'll put it onto a few of these big ones this fall , give it a real good test and a report for you , i'm pretty sure it will do just fine by that check in it , i would love to get me a 40 lb fresh chinook on it ,

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Post by CaneCaster »

John.

Outstanding looking reel. Sign me up!
I will send a PM to you regarding details.

Just aewsome.
J.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Good looking and functional reel. I like how you fitted the auxiliary brake.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

SideChannel
Master Guide

Post by SideChannel »

John,

A very good looking reel with a wonderful looking check! Looks LHW ... are you planning any RHW?

Thanks for sharing,
Greg

Kenov
Master Guide

Post by Kenov »

Very nice. Beauty and function all in one.

Pfphantom Pfisherman
Master Guide

Post by Pfphantom Pfisherman »

Excellent big fish reel. Well thought out and definitely well executed.
I particularly like the brake. You just don't see that any more.
I'm thinking Atlantic Salmon fishermen and Steelheaders would love it.

Kelly L
Guide

Post by Kelly L »

I love everything about it! I can't wait to hear how the test drive on them goes. Outstanding looking reel.

MFRS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by MFRS »

That is a very nice setup. I can't see anything of concern you haven't already addressed. You have a few talents to come up with that product, nice in workmanship and eye appeal.

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

John that is a wonderfull l looking check design and a tastefull reel, I,m sure it will be a great success, I know I want one. Daryl

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

That is one heck of a perfect style reel. Love that brake system, should have a lot of stopping power. Love the way it extends to your fingers.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

A LHW, 3" or 3.25", no added brake lever needed, and I'm in. Let us know if you really decide to go ahead and if you'd do a smaller trout model for us.

Nick

restoration
Guide

Post by restoration »

A big thank you to everyone for the positive responces to this project.

Rich I have requests from Scotland and Ireland to try out the reel and maybe I should toss a coin to see where the prototype should go for testing. I do need help with this, I have never held a salmon rod or been fishing for salmon - maybe one day. I have fitted the reel to my trout rod, which I hold in my right hand and the brake lever fits into the crook of my little finger and works with the minimal amount of pressure. I had concerns about the reel working on a two handed salmon rod but a close friend of mine, a salmon fisher, told me it would be ok.

The plan is to make the reel so that it could made in left or right hand wind. All it needs is for the check to be moved 90 degrees and the brake arm fitted to suit the other hand and the line guide fitted to match the set up. If the reel did not have the auxilary brake it could be used both ways.

A three inch wide drum version is lurking around in the back of my head somewhere but this will have to wait for now.

The next stage is to go to the "Bronze man" to see if he can cast the check adjusting arm's, pawl bridge's and the brake arm's in brass or bronze. I will post photos of the parts and in time the general construction of the reel as well as the frame, spool and winding plate and other bits and bobs.
Last edited by restoration on 06/02/13 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

While I know the intent behind that name is all good intent, it would, at least in the USA, be likely seen as...how to put it...a very unfortunate choice. Just a word of caution for a lovely looking reel.

Best,

Chris

restoration
Guide

Post by restoration »

Chris,

Thank you for your input. I have removed the name from my posting and trust I have not caused any heartache to anyone. I am a Scot. and the name fitted into the heritage I am connected with. lesson learnt and that is not all spoken English translates into other cultures as intended and I am sorry for this mistake.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Absolutely understood, John. And a fine tradition it is! I hope I helped in some way. When I visit your beautiful country one day--well, I did spend a year in Edinburgh when I was 1yo, but alas no memory--I hope, if we connect, that you will do the same for me! I'm a fair study at putting my foot in it, so need all the help I can get. :-)

How's about just, "The Scot"? "The Tartan"? Wouldn't be difficult to talk me into the 3 inch wide drum...

Chris

Boris
Master Guide

Post by Boris »

John,

A very nice reel you've come up with.

Just a casual question and I, like you, have never fished for salmon nor fished a two hander. But have you considered putting the brake handle/lever on the bottom of the of the reel. Imagine its position being reversed so the index finger of the bottom hand could grasp it and apply pressure. I just wonder if finger control would be better on the bottom hand index finger and be more comfortable than using the top hand little finger.

Anyway, take that for what it's worth....

Your work is really nice and you've got a great prototype there.

Thanks for posting those photos.

restoration
Guide

Post by restoration »

G'Day Boris,

Your comments are well received and a few other people have made the same suggestion. On the last count there was a split vote of 50/50 as to the best position for the brake and I admit I am not sure which is the best option. This won't cause a problem when it comes to building the ten reels I have in mind. The design allows for the brake to be either at the top or bottom of the reel. All that's needed is for me to position the check gear in the correct place to suit left or right hand wind and with the brake above or below as needed.

I still have to reply to some of the emails sent to me and I ask for a little more time before I do this. Been busy making drawings and trying to find the right people to help make some of the parts I am going to need. The "Bronze Man" is in place and he should be sand casting the bronze internals (check covers, adjusting arms and brakes) by this weekend. When I have these parts I will post a few photos to keep the interest alive in my project.

restoration
Guide

Post by restoration »

I had hoped to put this posting up long before now but I have hit a snag. The plan was to get the frames and spools made at a local company using CNC but they can't help with my project simply because they have too much work on at the moment. So I have spent a lot of time trying to find an engineering company to take on the CNC work and this is proving to be a little difficult. CNC made parts will ensure accuracy on the tight limits I have set for this reel and this will also reduce the overall costs for each item.

I used the original bronzes from the reel as paterns for the sand moulds

Sand mould set up.

Top and bottom halves of the mould put together

Bronze being melted down at 900+ degrees centigrade

Bronze pouring

Sand mould opened with the bronze parts, runner and riser.

Rough castings that will need to be polished and finished.

I have finished the drawings I need for the spool and frame and the next task is to get 12 of each made so that I can make a start on building the reels.

Return to “Classic Reels”