Phillipson Pacemaker owners - what reel do you use?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

RuudA
Sport

Phillipson Pacemaker owners - what reel do you use?

Post by RuudA »

Dear all,

Fairly new to this game, but have a strong interest in classic bamboo fly rods. I have an 8.5FT 3/2 Phillipson Pacemaker coming my way and are now looking for a nice blue collar classic reel to match the rod.
My aim is to fish it and keep the periodic feeling.

So far I am looking at Pflueger 1494, 1494 1/2. I am wondering what would be other options out there in a similar price range as the Pflueger. Some suggestions on what kind of Pflueger would be helpfull as well.

I am living in Barcelona, Spain, so will have easily 30 dollars in shipping a reel here unfortunately.

Thanks for your suggestions

Ruud

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Phillipson Pacemaker owners - what reel do you use?

Post by jhuskey »

You might find a Medalist 1495 balances the 8 1/2 foot rod better - I'm guessing the Pacemaker about 5 to 5 1/2 oz.?

RuudA
Sport

Post by RuudA »

Thats one of the questions I had, 1494/1494 1/2 or 1495.

Thanks for the suggestion!

RuudA
Sport

Post by RuudA »

Apologies for perhaps asking dumb questions, but a guy has to learn and every day is a learning day!

I'm looking at JW Young/Beaudex reels as well... For a DT5/WF6 line, should i go for a 3 1/2" diameter reel?
Also, is this a decent reel for the rod?

Thanks so much

Ruud

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Yes and yes - the 3 1/2" Beaudex should work well I would think - might be a little easier for you to find than a Medalist? I'm really no help on what vintage American reels like the Medalist might be available in your market.

RuudA
Sport

Post by RuudA »

Thanks Jhuskey!

Indeed.. Pflueger for me is only available via US and "that" online market site. I am looking for a nice one with decent shipping charges - none are available right now there (I lost a bid for a NOS in box Medalist last week) or on the classifieds here.

Youngs Beaudex, Condex, Pridex etc. I can get via UK at a nicer shipping rate.

Any suggestions (including people that want to let go of a nice Medalist) welcome!

Ruud

RuudA
Sport

Post by RuudA »

Hi guys

Fishin small streams here, and fairly small trout, here in Spain, so not gonna need a whole lot of backing. I want to use a Cortland Peach DT5 probably, or a WF6..

That said... would a 1494 be sufficient, or would it be the wrong balance and should i look for a 1495 instead?
Looking for reels around the 100-130 dollar mark, as shipping and taxes is gonna set me back another 60 dollars easily. I really like the look of the round line guard Pfluegers, am i gonna find one for that price. Please educate me a bit here :)

What would be a nice aesthetically correct match with the Phillipson instead?

Cheers
Ruud

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

I use this combination for (mostly) nymph fishing here in Slovenia... Pacemaker 9' + JWYoung Beaudex ;)

r :)

Last edited by jan96 on 04/19/15 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

arkriver
Sport

Post by arkriver »

3 3/8 Hardy Perfect from the late fourties, last of the leaded reels, matches real nice with a early pacemaker, 8' 6", I think it is 1st or 2nd year production, has a hammer grip which some early pacemakers had, I love this rod on our big western rivers, everyone knows how the wind works!!!!

Grandhogair
Guide

Post by Grandhogair »

Hello, I use a Hardy 5/6 Sunbeam, the modern version with the funky agate line guide, on my 8' Pacemaker. The color and style seem to go well with the funky Phillipson reel seat. For some reason they don't get talked about much and therefore are pretty reasonably priced. I might go to the 3 1/2 inch Young if it was an 8 1/2' rod like yours for the balance. And the Young is built like a tank. Both could be sourced from the UK. Good luck and enjoy the rod. Alan

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I use a 1494 Medalist on my 8 1/2-foot 5-weight rods quite often. A Heddon Imperial is also a nice match. The balance is plenty close enough for my taste.
If you're looking for a heavier reel, the 3 3/8" Hardys and Youngs are indeed good partners with an 8 1/2-foot 5-oz. Phillipson.
These are a little harder to find, but here is a Thompson 100, an American copy of the Perfect, on Phillipson rods:
Pacemaker
Paragon

RuudA
Sport

Post by RuudA »

Thanks guys for the suggestions, gonna do some homework (and ebay browsing)

Ruud

RuudA
Sport

Post by RuudA »

Got me a 3.5" narrow spool Beaudex + extra spool from the UK via "that one auction site" . Hope its a good fit on my Pacemaker :)

Thanks for the help so far!

Ruud

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

A couple of low cost options might include the Ocean City #76 and a Daiwa SF 706 too. Plus if you do find a Metalist at some time in the future then do know that there's after market parts available to upgrade it. A counter balance weight for the spool, new screws, drag parts and even a new foot to fit modern reel seats. See onepfoot.com for these parts.
Last edited by OldCane on 04/22/15 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

RuudA
Sport

Post by RuudA »

Thanks Old Cane, still looking around for a Pflueger (as i hope to add a Granger or Orvis to join the Phillipson any time soon). I will check the onepfoot link!

Ruud

RuudA
Sport

Post by RuudA »

Question guys, and don't want to start a new thread for this. What is the going rate for a 1494 Medalist with a round line guard? (before i issue a wanted ad here)

I see plenty of Medalist with the non rectangular line guard for sale, but theres just something about the round line guard that is so pretty :)

Thanks
Ruud

glassfly1
Guide

Post by glassfly1 »

I often use a Shakespeare Russell and a Young Beaudex on my 9' Pacemaker.
ImageImage
Follow my adventures in bamboo and fiberglass flyrodding at sandiegoflyfish.com.

RuudA
Sport

Post by RuudA »

Thanks so much for your suggestion guys! I received my Phillipson rod the other day, and the Cortland line, and the Beaudex. Need to find a local source for some decent backing and line up the reel now, and find a place to try and cast it here in urban Barcelona!

PS @Jan96.. thats a very beautiful fish, and a very nice rod/reel combo. That Beaudex looks to be in mint condition!

Ruud

RuudA
Sport

Post by RuudA »

PS 2: if anybody has a 1494 round line guard Medalist laying around for a decent price... please contact me.

Ruud

Return to “Classic Reels”