My small Hardy LRH collection

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

My small Hardy LRH collection

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

From left to right, The Lightweight - Single rivet - Double Rivet - Two Screw - Single Screw

Just missing the first model I think... man, its elusive.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: My small Hardy LRH collection

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Interesting photo Brian. The Lightweight is such a good trout reel, more perfect than the Perfect...

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

I agree, the lightweight series are great reels - always seemed to me that there should have been a size between the Featherweight and the LRH.

Reeldane
Master Guide

Post by Reeldane »

Brian Shaffer wrote:Image

From left to right, The Lightweight - Single rivet - Double Rivet - Two Screw - Single Screw

Brian
Great line of reels !
Is'nt there a silent version of the LRH - and what about a multiplier .....
:pipe
Heinz

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Ooops... It seems I am missing more than just one. :-)

Sparquero
Master Guide

Post by Sparquero »

Nice collection, Lightweights are nice trout reels.
After the first model of the solid spool there were two other solid spool reels, a four pillar reel followed by a three pillar reel.

Here is a link to the history of the Lightweight and LRH Lightweight reels.

http://www.antiquetackleobserver.com/20 ... ight-reel/

Cheers,
Paul

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Reeldane wrote:
Brian Shaffer wrote:Image

Brian
Great line of reels !
Is'nt there a silent version of the LRH - and what about a multiplier .....
:pipe
Heinz
...and there were two variations of the 1956 to 1960/61 double rivet - patent mark version on the reverse and non patent marked version on the reverse; 1960/61 half ribbed foot double rivet; three different versions of the silent LRH - one with cork pads and large drag knob on the reverse which came in double screw guard, the other with conventional drag knob and single screw and possibly double screw versions; 1962 to 1965 two screw version patent mark on the line guard. I am sure I am missing some.
There's also the original Hardy issued block leather case made specifically for the early to mid 60's single rivet LRH.
There were several slightly different variations of the earlier Lightweight reels.

But you have a nice start and a nice line up there. The LRH is among my favorite reels, as it is to so many others here.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

I've got the case.. but it came with the double riveted reel.

Adrien - did you say ' half ribbed foot ' ? I have never seen that.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Great bunch of reels and it is interesting, somewhere on this forum is an old Orvis ad, showing the price of the Lightweight LRH higher than the St. George. These reels are just oozing classy looks and solid utility!

Rockthief
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rockthief »

Lovely group you have there, Brian. If my memorie serves me correctly, I think there was a Tealweight, yes?

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Hey Brian:

I, too, have been a Hardy LRH/Lightweight fan for as long as I can remember. Here's my line-up but, like you, I am missing the elusive three-screw latch plate, solid spool, first model.

L to R: Solid spool, two-screw latch; L-line guard, single rivet, RHW-only, four pillar, ex-Pinky Gillum; L-line guard, two rivets, RHW-only, four pillars; Two-screw line guard, silent check for A & F; Two-screw (Brit. Pat.) line guard for Kerr's of Beverly Hills; Single-screw line guard with factory spool counterbalance and a Single-screw line guard multiplier.

Scott
Last edited by Flyman615 on 05/11/15 19:35, edited 2 times in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Scott's post reminds me that there are in fact at least four variants of the Silent LRH, the fourth being the A & F stamped reels.

I had never seen or heard of a Kerr's of Beverley Hills stamped LRH, that's cool!

I had forgotten that there are two versions of the multiplier also, the two screw non Brit pat marked guard and the more commonly seen single screw guard.

As well there were early 90's Golden Lightweight LRH's which came out initially in a limited numbered run, and then the non numbered, regular production. A particularly beautiful reel when paired with cane rods.

If one began with the late 40's Lightweight reel and continued up to the last Hardy made LRH's, a complete collection would include well over 20 variants. It would also be extremely difficult to acquire an example of each of the earliest versions from the late 40's to early 50's, some were very limited in their production.

Any example of an LRH makes a great fishing reel though, and they are classic in their looks as well as eminently functional 4 to 6 weight reels. Also affordable compared to many other reels.

Repleiven

Post by Repleiven »

If you want to see a really rare Lightweight, check out Aaron Day's site, vintagefishingtackle.co.uk. Under the Hardy Lightweight Series heading, he had a first model, half caliper, three screw Lightweight, but alas, it's now been sold. The pictures are still on the web site, and it's a real beauty.

Dennis

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Thanks Dennis - I used to poke around on the site a few years ago but kinda lost track of it. That is a great looking reel! Below, there is also a nice 3 screw 3 pillar 3 1/8" reel. Thanks for the new "old" bookmark, lost with a new laptop.

Oh, and Welcome!

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

You're right about that Lightweight! One of the really good guys on the Forum picked it up and it will be in good company Dennis!

fishingthefly
Master Guide

Post by fishingthefly »

one more LRH not mentioned.

the elusive L-lineguard in LH wind.

Reeldane
Master Guide

Post by Reeldane »

Brian showed us his really nice line-up of these LRH reels - so close to a 'complete set', but within a few posts we just spoiled his joy completely.
Collecting can be so cruel >:
Sorry Brian, but go for it !
H. :skoal

greenwell
Master Guide

Post by greenwell »

A few years ago i picked up from the factory 2 very early reels,these were both in left hand wind,one had extra large perforations,ribbed alloy foot and 3 screw latches.These reels were in the white but i was told later that they were when sold as new would have been finished in a matt black paint.If i remember they also had unusual style of check spring holders.
These were 2 of the nicest Light wgts i have ever seen.
I sold them on the Bay so a member may have some pictures of them.
Chris.

pontiac787
Guide

Post by pontiac787 »

Hmmm... this post thread has me seriously considering one of these reels. From the limited reading I've done these seem to be very functional/dependable reels. As a budget minded angler is there a particular vintage of the lightweight that is a little easier on the wallet? My only limiting factor would be that the reel be made in England. Also, if adding a second spool how closely would the age of the spool need to match the age of the reel?

SideChannel
Master Guide

Post by SideChannel »

Adrien,
You are too kind. Here are a few pictures of the reel; it came today. It weighs 3.5oz on my scale. The simple c-spring design is interesting because it provides a significantly different resistance in each direction. Both the spring, itself, and the resulting drag are really quite stout.

This is just my first Lightweight, so I appreciate this thread to compare the various models.

And a big thank you to Chris!

Return to “Classic Reels”