Ari Hart reels- Looking for a brief but thorough history

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

I am slightly confused about the history of ATH reels. I am looking for when he started and stopped, information about the new Dutch Reels, comments on quality differences between the two, value differences, keys for recognizing the differences between them, and any other pertinent information. Thanks
"If you act like an asshole, don't be surprised when people treat you like one." - Darth Nihilus

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

Image Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

Ken M 44
Administrator

Post by Ken M 44 »

Mainiac - drop me your email address into my inbox and I will send some ATH catalogue scans, generally speaking the first ones are the best, the most collectable and the most expensive.

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

Still looking for some information. Someone out there must be a ATH expert. I would also like to see some pictures of unusual models.
"If you act like an asshole, don't be surprised when people treat you like one." - Darth Nihilus

moregrayling
Master Guide

Post by moregrayling »

Mainiac wrote:Still looking for some information. Someone out there must be a ATH expert. I would also like to see some pictures of unusual models.
mainiac,

how about an ath reel made for leonard? information picture and reel courtesy of wolfram schott.

best from krautland,
christian

In 1982 Ari made 3 prototypes in the small sizes (Traun, RO and Lake Taupo), which were intended to be produced for HLL . Well, HLL went down the river, and the three reels ended up at my friend's, Rudolph Reichel, shop. Rudolph sold me one reel, Rio Orbigo size. The other two are in a museum in North Italy now.

Last edited by moregrayling on 11/08/07 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Best,
Christian

Them, that knows nowt, fears nowt!

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

I don't want to ask what it would take for you to part with that. But if you ever do you know who to contact. Image

moregrayling
Master Guide

Post by moregrayling »

I will pass on your request. don't hold your breath though...

best,
christian
Best,
Christian

Them, that knows nowt, fears nowt!

Sparquero
Master Guide

Post by Sparquero »

I have been curious about the markings on ATH reels. Some have the scrolled ATH and others have the omega symbol with the 2 fish inside as well as the ATH.
I think this reel is the Remco model but I am not certain what era it is from.

Any clues to the era as well as value?

brooksriver
Sport

Post by brooksriver »

Sparquero, Your Remco was made in Denmark after Ari Hart left ATH Design. I would estimate the value at $450+.

Here are a couple of other rare Ari's. The first is the Sage Hart design from the mid 80's that was later used to develop the Aras. Sage Rod Company commissioned Ari to build 100 of these reels to commemorate their 5th anniversary. The second is a ATH International with the "Blue Love" finish. Image

Last edited by brooksriver on 11/18/07 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

brooksriver
Sport

Post by brooksriver »

mainiac,

I don't have the exact dates, but I believe this is the chronology. Perhaps our European friends can correct any errors and fill in the exact dates. Early 1980's to Mid 1990's ATH Design - Holland. Early reels are the Triangle and S Series reels. Other products include vises, tippet dispensers, grease watches and reel seats. The earliest Triangle reels had a spanner head screw on the drag knob and were shipped with a black velvet reel case. Later Triangle reels came with leather pouch and the drag knob was secured with a hex nut. The Remco, Aras, and Rainbow reels are launched in the early 1990's and the Remco is displayed at the Metro Museum of Modern Art. These are the most collectible. Late 1990's Ari Hart leaves ATH Design and the firm is sold to a Danish Firm (Danica). These Danish made reels include the original Remco's (including a larger version) the Gallatin and other reels. The Danish Remco is distinguished from the Holland made Remco by a stainless line guard at the 6 o'clock position. Late 1990's Ari Hart establishes a new reel company named ATH International in Holland. Reels include the ARI 1, 2, 3, and Triangle models. The Ari Models are distinguished by a newer design of the progressive reel foot seen on earlier Remco's. Early 2000's Ari leaves ATH International and ATH International ultimately becomes Dutch Reels.

Throughout this time period Ari Bulids numerous prototype's. Here are a few examples:

Image Image

PS. These prototype reels are not in my possession. They're probably in a museum somewhere.
Last edited by brooksriver on 11/18/07 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

Reeldane
Master Guide

Post by Reeldane »

Just a little sub-info:
Ari T. Hart's companies went belly-up several times, and finally the mentioned danish company bought the entire rights to produce ATH reels (Name, blueprints, tools, legal rights etc etc.) Later there have been several legal disputes about Mr. Hart started up here and there and used his ATH-name.
However, today all his classic models incl. most of the reels mentioned in this thread - are not controlled by him and he is not allowed to produce them anymore. The mentioned danish company continued the production of the classic ATH-reels for a number of years, but 2-3 years ago - the production stopped. Little by little the inventory both in the factory and at the dealers around have dried out.
Reeldane

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

I know the Triangle (F) Series reels can be reversed from RHW to LHW (or vice versa) but they have to be done by "the factory". I know where a sweet early F1 Traun resides for sale but winds the wrong way for me. I was told that I just needed to send it to Hart USA to have it "fixed". I tried contacting Hart USA a couple times in the past but never received any answer. Does Hart USA still exist? Does anyone else work on these reels?

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

Apparently he was a far better designer than bill payer.................
He used to design and assemble the reels from sub-contracted components.
I believe there are a lot of small companies still seeking payment for works done.

bamboo sprout
Sport

Post by bamboo sprout »

Mainiac,

unfortunately there is no obligatory history to ATH and Ari't Hart's life's work. I can only confirm the remarks of more brooksriver. I collect ATH fly reels and other devices (exclusive from Netherlands production) for 15 years and was frequently confronted with the problem not to be able to clarify the origin of a reel clearly. Meanwhile I know the individual models of the different creative periods (ATH Design Holland, ATH international) in the most different remarks as well as a multiplicity of prototypes. The pictures shows a part of my ATH collection and I would be pleased to be able to step into contact with other ATH collectors.Image

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobB »

Spruce,

I'm almost positive Bill Archuleta could reverse the retrieve on an ATH F Series reel.
He did some work for me on my F2 Rio Orbigo. IM me if you need his contact info.

Bob
Last edited by Anonymous on 11/09/07 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

Mainiac
Master Guide

Post by Mainiac »

bamboo sprout,

Thanks for sharing the photos of your collection. I am starting to be amazed how many different colors and configurations he made reels in. I put out a request on the for sale board for ATH reels. I am getting few responses so hopefully in a short time I will have asmall array of ATH's as well. Although I think it will take quite some time to assemble a collection such as yours.

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

Bob,
I've already sent an email to Arch. Thought of him after I posted - I just think of him as working on Hardys king of like the guy who only works on old VWs.

B sprout,
Is that a bust of Ari to the left of your reels? Image

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

Hi guys, there is no ATH USA anymore. It used to be owned by Jeff Bowen in Santa Fe, he is a good friend of Ari's. I used to produce all of the 4 color scans and prep the brochures for print for Jeff. He still might be able to get the reverse bearings and or get the reels fixed. He also might still have some of the ATH reels for sale. You can reach him a brooksfish@aol.com. Hope this helps, Jim.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I have owned and fished 5 or 6 ATH's, 2 of which were certain to be Holland reels. There was only very minor miscues IMHO from the changeovers, and the owners were all very cordial in every way.
I had one Gallatin that needed a clicker rubber pad redone as the first would not hold a tight enough click for a model 2. Free replace and free shipping costs both ways.

Anyone out there with spare spools for the Gallatin models 1,2,3 in any colors - please IM me.
I have a thing for silver - and best # 2's... but would discuss purchasing any colors.

I had a Remco set at one time.. which I never ever - ever should have been talked out of.

These reels have or soon will find thier way into the market they deserve. Perhaps thats why I dont get to hold one for long. I have a Remco like foot in gold somewhere... I'm keeping it for some reason.

Brian
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Ken M 44
Administrator

Post by Ken M 44 »

Just found a picture of a Limited Edition ATH reel (this is # ** of 20) that I owned a few years ago - it is a 'Nymphe' with an engraved Ari 't
Hart signature on the spool. Basically an Aras without the forward canted foot, the foot is titanium.

Return to “Classic Reels”