Floatant for CDC

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Floatant for CDC

Post by PYochim »

What does everybody use as a floatant on CDC? I have been using Frog's Fanny on CDC emergers and it is a pain in the butt. Does anyone have a better idea?

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Floatant for CDC

Post by Brooks »

I like Harrop's CDC oil, or Fly Magic in tiny smears.

Edit: I should add, I like Frog's fanny and other desiccants too, but I don't consider them floatants. They dry, or absorb the water from the CDC and other materials, but if there's any of that dust left on the fly, it will get wet again very quickly. A piece of fly absorbing chamois, or even cotton, helps dry the fly too. If I can get the fly real dry, then I'll add the slightest smear of CDC oil or Fly Magic.

Often, CDC flies are just one fish flies, then I blot them clean and dry and put them away for another day.

Double edit;-) When I say smear, I mean the slightest bit CDC oil or Fly Magic rubbed between your finger and thumb, as if you'd just wiped your finger on the side of your nose. You don't want the CDC to get wet from the oil. Just barely treated. Like vermouth in a humidifier to make a dry martini.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Wish I could make a recommendation based on use but have had good luck with his other products. Zen Outfitters has a product they claim can be used on CDC but haven't tried it yet.

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

Hello, as we fish nearly exclusively with CDC here in Europe and for many decades as that so I might be able to help :-).

And no CDCs are NOT one fish flies, not at all. Depending on the model and how you tie them they are good for many fish. Of course some models, especially bigger ones and very fine ones are not floating great. But get the right pattern, a light hook and a smaller hook size and they float like cork. Often even much better than hackle flies.

First of all you need the best quality Amadou patch. Not sure if this is readily available in the US, so you might have to do a search.

The best ones are available here in Germany at https://www.rudiheger.eu/de/catalogsear ... /?q=amadou.

Not cheap but well worth the money as they will last a few years. None other come even close. Most are rubbish.

Then you can use CDC oil in very small quantities. Not good when it is cold though as it "glues" the fibres together which is not good.

Better then to use a fly spray indeed. I use any type of spray that dries quickly (so probably contains alcohol). Guess these are silicone based but as the spray is so fine it doesnt clump the fibres together. One or two false casts is enough to let the fly dry and let it float again.

All else I have tried is rubbish :-) also the frogs fanny etc..

So the way is:
1. dry your wet CDC with an Amadou thoroughly
2. apply fly spray or CDC oil
3. make a few false casts
4. repeat the process after you have caught a fish.

Good luck!!

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Since the powders like Frog Fanny arrived I've never used anything else. My prior experiences with the CDC oil products was not good.

I fish CDC flies extensively. I typically rinse the wet CDC to get any fish slime off, then dry the cdc with a bandanna edge or a piece of paper towel l carry in a shirt pocket, then apply the magic dust, fluffing the fibers with my finger to be sure all are separated and get the powder dose. Most times there is enough powder on the edge of the container to dry the smaller flies I typically am using, so I only open the container occasionally. Friend and l buy the powder in bulk and split it up in to our own containers and then refill the small containers as necessary. Small bottle last a good while in my use. I also use the powder extensively to dry big winged flies like Chubby Chernobyls.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Thanks for all of the good info. I have been using Barry Ord Clark's CDC Emerger. Yesterday I was kicking butt and taking names on a local stream until a moose with two calves decided to take the spot.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I also use CDC extensively, my go to is Frog's Fanny and Loon Lochsa. Although it's a liquid it doesn't mat the CDC. As others have stated they dry with amadou and then apply the floatant.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

I'm probably the heretic here. I also fish flies with CDC (as wing, as body, as thorax, or as 'bubble') - almost to the exclusion of anything else, with the exception of killer bugs. Anyway, I just use either Gink or Albolene on them with no ill effect on either flotation or fish-attraction whatsoever...

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

First of all, Frog's Fanny is not a dessicant, so not intended to dry your fly. You can use silica gel, the most common dessicant crystals sold for fly fishing or you can use amadou or Kleenex to squeeze or blot your fly dry. Little known, but better than those blotting materials, is the absorbent filling inside the higher priced baby diapers - if it's good enough for a baby's bottom, it's gotta be good enough for a dry fly! After thoroughly drying the fly with whatever you choose, applying Frog's Fanny, which is hydrophobic fumed silica (usually used to thicken epoxy), will help repel water. Nothing will keep a fly floating forever, but thoroughly drying the fly then applying something that won't mat the CDC fibers is about the best you can do, in my opinion. Hydrophobic fumed silica is available in bulk from places that sell epoxy products.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

16pmd wrote:
09/15/20 18:04
First of all, Frog's Fanny is not a dessicant, so not intended to dry your fly. You can use silica gel, the most common dessicant crystals sold for fly fishing or you can use amadou or Kleenex to squeeze or blot your fly dry. Little known, but better than those blotting materials, is the absorbent filling inside the higher priced baby diapers - if it's good enough for a baby's bottom, it's gotta be good enough for a dry fly! After thoroughly drying the fly with whatever you choose, applying Frog's Fanny, which is hydrophobic fumed silica (usually used to thicken epoxy), will help repel water. Nothing will keep a fly floating forever, but thoroughly drying the fly then applying something that won't mat the CDC fibers is about the best you can do, in my opinion. Hydrophobic fumed silica is available in bulk from places that sell epoxy products.
Now there is something new I have never heard about before. Thank you.

I have a bag of fumed silica but it is a pain to get it from the bag into an empty Frog's Fanny bottle. Suggestions?

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

That's a tough one for sure. Pouring through a funnel outdoors is probably the handiest. Tim Anderson made a container for me from a plastic bottle with a wide mouth and a funnel glued wide-side-down to the top that I use to pour the stuff into a Frog's Fanny bottle. Even getting the stuff from the plastic bag into the open bottle is a bit tricky. How ever you do it, you don't want breathe any of the powder that floats around when loading the FF bottle.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I refill my bottles with a paper funnel (to toss away after), do it outside with a breeze blowing away, at arm's length, head turned to the side. I sometimes lose a lot, but when you buy in bulk you get way too much anyways.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I told the Cheesehead That I used the point of knife blade, it slips right in without much mess. :rollin

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

I use a "spoon ended drinking straw" like comes with a milk shake at a fast food joint to refill my frog's fanny bottle with bulk fumed silica. Works quite well with very little of it going airborne. Take a scoop with the spoon, insert into the bottle, and tap the end of the straw...

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Boise Bamboo wrote:
09/15/20 21:50
I use a "spoon ended drinking straw" like comes with a milk shake at a fast food joint to refill my frog's fanny bottle with bulk fumed silica. Works quite well with very little of it going airborne. Take a scoop with the spoon, insert into the bottle, and tap the end of the straw...
Good idea, will try this.

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

Since I fish silk lines, red Mucilin is always with me. This I also use for all my flies and it works wonders. Even on CdC flies.
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

As I said way up earlier up in the thread , friend and I buy the powder in bulk (fumed silica) and we fill smaller bottles from the bulk order plastic bag by using older frog fanny or similar flotant material bottles . The fumed silica is highly buoyant on simple air pressure and every effort must be made to contain it before it gets airborne, for the reasons other have mentioned earlier.

We take the top off the "to be filled" bottles and very gently place those uncapped smaller containers in the opening of the large bulk bag. Be sure you open the bag and do this process in a place with zero air movement if possible(away from ANY fans, HVAC effects, open door breezes, heavy breathing :)) . The we gently close bag top tightly and working with our fingers on the outside of the bag we push the open containers one at a time around inside the contained silica in the closed bag in a manner that fills each individual of those containers with the fumed silica. Sort of like pushing an open can through a bushel basket of shelled corn. Then gently push the newly filled open container to the top of the closed bag, container top facing upwards , and gently open the top of the main bag and gently put on the top and gently remove the container . Repeat with all your available empty containers. Did I mention gently as the key to the process. Simpler than it reads and a piece of cake if you do it ...you guessed it...gently.

This method was learned through trial and error. It is hard to contain the silica material if it is outside the bag on any type of spoon or shovel like device in my experience, as it is so buoyant on mere air currents even the slightest breeze or air current can lift it and make a mess.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Has anyone come across a grainier fumed silica? Pal bought in bulk, but it didnt seem as flaky as Fanny, and it didnt float flies as well. Are there different grades?

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Just a thought . . . I bought some dessicant used for keeping fletching on arrows dry; I believe it's fumed silica. ANyway, it's in a reasonably sized bottle (fits in a small vest pocket), and you can drop the fly in on the tippet, shake it once or twice, and you're done. Been working for me for years. As a floatant, I like Dry Magic very sparingly; yeah for CDC flies too, and I use a Wonder Dry Fly Patch that beats anything else I have ever tried for drying the fly, including amadou. And I suspect I'm too old and crabby to change.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Barleywine
Sport

Post by Barleywine »

narcodog wrote:
09/15/20 08:48
I also use CDC extensively, my go to is Frog's Fanny and Loon Lochsa. Although it's a liquid it doesn't mat the CDC. As others have stated they dry with amadou and then apply the floatant.
+1 on Loon Lochsa. Just a tiny bit on the CDC makes a big difference.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”