Do wings really matter on hackled dry flies?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Do wings really matter on hackled dry flies?

Post by PT48 »

Based on many, many years of fishing dry flies, I believe that wings matter. I think of a fly as an entity possessed of a range of triggers such as size, colour, shape and posture or balance on, or within, the meniscus. If one of those triggers presents as a negative to the trout then it will not take with avidity. So, by way of illustration, if trying to imitate caddis a white post or wings provides an incentive rather than a disincentive. However, if the representation is a dun, white for the wings or post can be a real turn off (CDC makes a great post for a dun tie). I very rarely fish a standard hackled fly with wings these days, I much prefer a parachute tie with a single post and I like the post to deport vertically on the water, well supported by the hackle. Unfortunately I am a fussy bugger when it comes to flies.
Last edited by PT48 on 04/12/21 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

For fishermen? Absolutely! :)

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

I cant speculate one way or another

what goes through the brain the size of a pea?

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

The great thing about this topic is that everybody has an opinion but nobody knows for sure. We try to explain why fish seem to be so selective at times but all of us have had trout hit strike indicators or flies that were dragging in the water with the rod held between our legs.

Bernd Heinrich (for those of you not familiar with him, he is a biologist who studies animal behavior, focusing on ravens) was once asked how ravens behave. His response was "I would ask in return, which particular raven, of what sex, at what time of year, of what age and in what circumstance? I get the journal Animal Behavior, and in many of the studies the data points on a graph of a particular behavior look like someone shot a shotgun at the graph paper. There is so much individual variability.

My personal opinion is that wings matter sometimes, and do not matter other times. Given my track record on the stream, I'm just as likely to be wrong about this as right. I do suspect, though, that what we perceive as being important to a trout when we do things like don scuba gear and film stuff underwater might have very little to do with what is really motivating the trout.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I asked a Trout one day if wings matter. The Trout snickered at me and swam away.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

It depends. Opportunistic fish, no. More discerning fish, yes it can. The wing is a prominent part of a mayfly so under some circumstances a winged hackled dry fly will outperform one without a wing. The wing also helps balance the fly.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”