EP Mayfly Dub and Trigger Point...truly 0% water absorption?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

EP Mayfly Dub and Trigger Point...truly 0% water absorption?

Post by cdmoore »

I just read this claim from Enrico Puglisi while looking at rusty spinner patterns online. Is this true in your experience? I tried looking it up but all I could find were verbatim or slightly modified marketing copy. There were some insinuations that floatfulness was due to some kind of treatment application, so I wonder about floatgevity as most treatments tend to fail with continued use? It's probably a long shot asking here since none of you has an opinion on anything, but...

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: EP Mayfly Dub and Trigger Point...truly 0% water absorption?

Post by Caneghost »

I have used Trigger Point Fibers and now the new Trigger Point Supreme regularly for a few years. I cannot say authoritatively that it retains water or that it doesn't, but it seems to me that the fibers themselves do not. Water can certainly get between the fibers in a wing, etc. and the fly can get waterlogged a bit. You can usually blow it out easily. The fibers do not appear to be soaked themselves. I still apply floatant to the entire fly.

Older ad copy on their site and packaging said it was treated with Watershed, but I did not see that recently.

Great material! I like it for wings on comparaduns, spinners, etc. I love the variegated colors like Dark Dun and Quicksilver for spinners, and they catch a lot of tough fish! My Halo Isonychia pictured is a killer!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Quite honestly I don't think it matters with small spinner wings, BUT some technical crap for you...

The degree of "moisture absorption" depends on the type of synthetic material and the current conditions such as temperature, humidity and contact time.

Research "Teflon", which is really PTFE, a fluorocarbon solid, which supposedly is the only polymer with zero water absorption. At least that is what I read months ago.

EP offers a ton of colors which the synthetic fibers have to be either topically dyed or solution dyed. My guess is solution dyed so the colors are sealed into the fibers when it was liquid before becoming solid, very fine denier fibers. Does he then coat the fibers with Teflon? No idea.

I have a couple colors of EP Fibers and never use them.

Note: I had to bleach something for my wife this morning, so I took a clump pf EP Silver Grey Original fibers and poured bleach on them. The color did not come out, so it must be a solution dyed synthetic material. When I rinsed it off under the sink, between the fibers was holding water molecules.

IMHO, chances are adding a liquid or spray floatant to EP fibers will probably have zero effect because it can't stick to it.

BTW, I am not a chemist. :)

John

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Thanks for the insights people.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

cdmoore wrote: "It's probably a long shot asking here since none of you has an opinion on anything, but..."

Priceless!

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Rusty Spinners tied with a sparse flat wing, synthetic or not float very well, the ones with natural fibers do well with flotant, I find my rusty Spinners with synthetic material float very well without flotant on the wings. I use EP fibers for all kinds of flies in the salt, and for warm water species; I do use EP fibers for spinners though, it works very well either way. I believe the shape of the fly on a spinner is more important to simulate the effect of the bug laying down on the water. Most of the time I use a Spinner, I am targeting an active fish or fishes, so the float doesn't have to be too long. I dont use a Spinner as a search pattern. That said a fine tippet like a 6x and a nice flat spinner will do the trick, the artificial fiber is 100% easier to see on the water than a natural feather wing. I dont believe EP fiber absorbs much water and its easier to shake off, especially if its sparse. Given a choice I'll use EP for spinners though.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

headwaters wrote:
06/12/21 14:09
cdmoore wrote: "It's probably a long shot asking here since none of you has an opinion on anything, but..."

Priceless!
:rollin :rollin

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”