Carrie J. Frost help?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Flyman101
Sport

Carrie J. Frost help?

Post by Flyman101 »

Does anyone have any of her catalogs they could share a few pages. I am in particular looking for any flies cataloged w/barbless hooks as an option. If possible; guessing later catalog(just prior to her selling company to Weber), any flies that may have utilized rubber in/for their body. Thanks for any help.

Chris

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Carrie J. Frost help?

Post by roycestearns »

Carrie Frost's company was named Miss C J Frost around 1896 she shortened it to C J Frost, and in 1906 George W Frost (brother) became involved (so some tackle is marked GW Frost). Carrie sold her company/share and retired in 1919. The new owner, Dan Frost (no relation), renamed the company the Frost Tackle Company; this company was later purchased by the Weber Lifelike Fly Company and continued operations until the 1980s. So quite a variation of "Frost" labeled stuff including "Water Witch" that may or may not have been Carrie's.

By 1912 (based on congressional record) Carrie had 155 fly tyers working in her building in Stevens point.

I have an early Carrie catalog and there are no barbless hooks in it

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Carrie J. Frost help?

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Here are a couple of interesting links which I just ran across. Of course, the facts in these links align with Royce's reply.

https://pbswisconsineducation.org/biogr ... frost.html

https://pbswisconsineducation.org/biogr ... y-book.pdf

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”