Pearsall's Gossamer Silk

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

dshx
Master Guide

Pearsall's Gossamer Silk

Post by dshx »

I realize that Pearsall's/Langley has discontinued production of their gossamer silk thread but I notice that many colors are still available from many on-line sources. However purple (#8) seems consistently sold out on the sources I checked.

Does anyone know of any that still have purple in stock?

Thanks.

-Dwight

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Pearsall's Gossamer Silk

Post by narcodog »

Check with jimsflyco.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Just did a Google search and also visited quite a few sites that used to / still carry Pearsall silks ... Yep, no purple Gossamer anywhere..... or at least showig on the web sites. You might want to call a few to see if a few spools might be hidig on the shelves but not shown on-line.

Guess I'll have to watch how many Snipe & Purple flies I tie over the winter and who I supply them to!

Possibly, you might want to get a couple spools of white Gossamer silk and some purple Rit dye and make your own purple Gossamer.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

Thanks to all who responded. Snorider's suggestion of American Fly and Tackle was the only one that I could find that listed purple in stock. Like Bob, hopefully I can catch up on my Snipe and Purples this winter.

-Dwight

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

How did you find it? I looked and never even found gossamer thread. Only thing I found was the silk floss and I have a few spools of that and don't particularly like it. Much prefer single strand silk on cardboard tube. I have that in purple, yellow and red and use it often. I also just lucked into a good buy on silk thread on Classified and jumped on it. There were two purple spools in the mix and I'm doing more purple now since it seems to be a hot color again.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

It might be worth a call to find out if they actually have Purple in stock before actually placing the order. I tested to see if the website actually has any inventory controls in place and it does not. Had I continued forward it would have allowed me to purchase 1000 spools of purple which I really doubt they have. Hopefully they do have some and those who placed orders get them fulfilled.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

Good advice, Jim. I just received an email indicating that I have a partial refund coming on last night's order I placed to American - purple is now out of stock. The search continues. Wonder if this will go the direction of Chadwicks 477.

-Dwight

PhilA
Guide

Post by PhilA »

dshx wrote:The search continues. Wonder if this will go the direction of Chadwicks 477. -Dwight
Dwight,
Yes, I think it will, only Pearsall's disappearance will have a much greater impact. Plenty of yarns were/are available in colors similar to Chadwick's 477, but that didn't stop the inflation madness. And, that's for tying *one* fly. Loss of Pearsall's affects a whole style of fly tying.

I've learned second hand of a vendor or two who are sitting on large quantities of Pearsall's Gossamer. If a Chadwick's-style mania takes hold, it will be valuable.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I guess the writing was on the wall a number of years ago when Pearsall's got absorbed by Langley. Then was the time to stock up while stocks were high. Geez though, Purple? I never used that color but now find myself comically on a mission to find a few spools. I only have one. All of my go-to suppliers are out. Purple, who'da thunk that?

Of the colors that I use regularly, all of them are available albeit twice the price that they used to be.

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

Pretty much given up on locating Pearsall's in purple. I have since found another silk thread, Ephemera, made in France by Au Ver à Soie and offered by an Italian flyfishing vendor, 54 Dean Street.

Has anyone compared this thread against Pearsall's gossamer thread?

From the photo, the color of the purple Ephemera thread doesn't appear quite as deep as the purple on my remaining spool of Pearsall's but it's close and that could be due to the lighting conditions in the photo but I'm sure there will be at least small differences in the respective dyes.

-Dwight

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Scan down to read Rob Smith's info on this silk:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1293827960629032/

Grouse
Guide

Post by Grouse »

I have seen advertised yet not tried Alec Jackson's Premium Japanese silk floss. This brand offers a wide range of colors including purple. Try FeathersMC.com as an excellent source for the floss mentioned above and other quality tying materials.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Well it turns out I got the last two spools of purple they had dshx, although I did not realize it at the time. They refunded my money for the cardinal I had ordered which is a bummer but I will keep looking, all the royal patterns have been eating my last spool of red silk.
Michael
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

joaniebo wrote:Scan down to read Rob Smith's info on this silk:

The link doesn't help if you don't use facebook.

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

You also have to apply to join the group as it's considered "private". I tried to join but so far no luck.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

dshx wrote:

You also have to apply to join the group as it's considered "private". I tried to join but so far no luck.
Just wait, he'll okay you. Don't forget there is a 5 hr difference from the east coast.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

I hope that Rob Smith doesn't mind too much if I cut and paste his info from another site as info for Gossamer silk substitutes, namely YLI 100 silks, as follows: (this info should make a marked increase in YLI sales!). Many thanks to Rob for his continued advice, expertise and knowledge !

"Robert L. Smith
YLI Silk Thread 100weight 200m Spools

YLI Silk Matched To Vintage Silks from Edmonds & Lee Deluxe Edition

YLI No. Vintage Pearsall No.

216 = Hot Orange (19)
231 = Gold (6A)
261 = Primrose (3)
214 = Yellow (4)
244 = Purple (8)
213 = Straw (2)
258 = Claret (14)
? = 6B
241 = Golden Olive (11)
201 = Scarlet(11a)
208 = Blue (7)
232 = Grey(9A)
? = Dk Claret(15)
? = Olive (16)
BLK = Black (9)
WHT6 = White (1)"

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

American Fly & Tackle no longer has Pearsall's in black in addition to being out of purple. I ordered several colors last night on their web page. Today, I received an e-mail saying my order had shipped, but I had a second e-mail saying they refunded $5.15 and no longer had black silk thread (even though the web site let me order it).

I contacted several sewing and fabric stores in Oklahoma City the past few days, but no success. One store told me to contact a cross stitch store in Gutherie, OK. They don't carry any Pearsall's thread either; however, the lady told me she would check with several of her venders. If this brings success, I'll let you know. It could be worth checking with these types of stores in your area!

Tight Lines- Ken

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I did a search for Langley silk and found several sites that have black, blue and purple.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”