Pearsall's Gossamer Silk

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

dshx
Master Guide

Re: Pearsall's Gossamer Silk

Post by dshx »

joaniebo wrote:Scan down to read Rob Smith's info on this silk:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1293827960629032/
Bob, would you feel comfortable summarizing Rob Smith's comments re Ephemera silk thread? (Apparently my application to join Facebook's Soft Hackle sub-forum was declined as yesterday the linked page indicated my join request was pending but today the link takes me to a blank page and indicates, "...the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in." (Have to love the phrasing!))

-Dwight

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

"...the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in."
I got the same message. Maybe it's in limbo as the page is updating.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

The YLI 100 silk thread is very nice; I bought the oranges (216 and 231) some year ago, as well as the purple/eggplant 244, and they are indeed very close to the gossamer specs (Eyeing it, for example, the YLI 244 closer to an old spool of gossamer purple than a recent spool of gossamer I purchased). I can say with authority that the fish on the R. Wharfe, Clyde, Housatonic, Farmington and S Holston seem to indicate no preference for gossamer over YLI, but I cannot say about those small dace from the ditches outside Madison - they may have keener sight.......Happy Thanksgiving all.
PS stop by your local craft/emboideree shop and look around. I have heard that is what Theakston did!

wbailey
Guide

Post by wbailey »

The Kimono brand of silk has some nice colors.
https://www.goldenwitch.com/product-cat ... lk-thread/

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

dshx wrote:
joaniebo wrote:Scan down to read Rob Smith's info on this silk:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1293827960629032/
Bob, would you feel comfortable summarizing Rob Smith's comments re Ephemera silk thread? (Apparently my application to join Facebook's Soft Hackle sub-forum was declined as yesterday the linked page indicated my join request was pending but today the link takes me to a blank page and indicates, "...the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in." (Have to love the phrasing!))

-Dwight
Dwight

PM sent

Bob

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Why not use YLI 100 ?

JamesEric
Sport

Post by JamesEric »

joaniebo wrote:I hope that Rob Smith doesn't mind too much if I cut and paste his info from another site as info for Gossamer silk substitutes, namely YLI 100 silks, as follows: (this info should make a marked increase in YLI sales!). Many thanks to Rob for his continued advice, expertise and knowledge !

"Robert L. Smith
YLI Silk Thread 100weight 200m Spools

YLI Silk Matched To Vintage Silks from Edmonds & Lee Deluxe Edition

YLI No. Vintage Pearsall No.

216 = Hot Orange (19)
231 = Gold (6A)
261 = Primrose (3)
214 = Yellow (4)
244 = Purple (8)
213 = Straw (2)
258 = Claret (14)
? = 6B
241 = Golden Olive (11)
201 = Scarlet(11a)
208 = Blue (7)
232 = Grey(9A)
? = Dk Claret(15)
? = Olive (16)
BLK = Black (9)
WHT6 = White (1)"
1st, I wish to thank all of you for this amazing wealth of knowledge and keeping this art form alive! Do you know of a source or an equivalent color of silk thread that matches the gold wraps on my pre-fire HL Leonard? I read a post that it's Gudebrod 8056. Also the few red trim wraps on this "3 Agate" 8' 3/2 model 50 Tournament?
Thanks in advance.
Jamie in Colorado

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rio Grand King
Guide

Post by Rio Grand King »

A calming quote from Ben Spinks on Sexyloops from many years ago:

"Pearsall's is the tradition and is indeed very nice, but it is just that, a tradition. There is an extraordinary array of threads on the market today in every colour and size imaginable, none of them have fish repelling properties,"
“The things that I loved were very frail. Very fragile. I didn't know that. I thought they were indestructible. They weren't.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited

wbailey
Guide

Post by wbailey »

1st, I wish to thank all of you for this amazing wealth of knowledge and keeping this art form alive! Do you know of a source or an equivalent color of silk thread that matches the gold wraps on my pre-fire HL Leonard? I read a post that it's Gudebrod 8056. Also the few red trim wraps on this "3 Agate" 8' 3/2 model 50 Tournament?
Thanks in advance.
Jamie in Colorado

I found this: https://www.etsystudio.com/listing/5590 ... 056-size-a

JamesEric
Sport

Post by JamesEric »

wbailey wrote:1st, I wish to thank all of you for this amazing wealth of knowledge and keeping this art form alive! Do you know of a source or an equivalent color of silk thread that matches the gold wraps on my pre-fire HL Leonard? I read a post that it's Gudebrod 8056. Also the few red trim wraps on this "3 Agate" 8' 3/2 model 50 Tournament?
Thanks in advance.
Jamie in Colorado

I found this: https://www.etsystudio.com/listing/5590 ... 056-size-a
Amazing! Thank you so much.
I promise not to handyman my model 50. I learned a lot from Steve Blake all those years watching his craft.
Happy Holidays.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JeffK
Master Guide

Post by JeffK »

Just noticed Joann Fabrics has a sale on YLI 100 thread.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

JeffK wrote:Just noticed Joann Fabrics has a sale on YLI 100 thread.
I called the local Joann store and they don't carry any YLI threads. In addition, I can't find a cross reference between the YLI part numbers to the Joann part numbers.

That being said, I was able to find the names of the YLI silks per the YLI part numbers provided by Rob Smith. In addition, I tried to come up with the YLI color for Dark Claret (Pearsall #15). No luck on the Pearsall 6b or 16 (yet).

Here's the info:

YLI No. Vintage Pearsall No.
216 = Hot Orange (19) – Bright Orange
231 = Gold (6A) – Bright Apricot
261 = Primrose (3) – Buttercup
214 = Yellow (4) – Daffodil Yellow
244 = Purple (8) – Eggplant
213 = Straw (2) – Pale Yellow
258 = Claret (14) – Dark Purple
? = 6B
241 = Golden Olive (11) – Dull Gold
201 = Scarlet(11a) – Bright Red
208 = Blue (7) – Ocean Blue
232 = Grey (9A) – Light Blue Grey
? = Dk Claret(15) – ( 248 – Magenta or 267 – Burgandy )
? = Olive (16)
BLK = Black (9) – BLK
WHT6 = White (1) - WHT

RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

Hi Chaps,
In regards to joining the spider/soft-hackle facebook group you will have to keep trying. I am getting spammed by loads bogus accounts at the moment, so I apologize if I have blocked innocent intent.
I am working on devising a couple simple questions, which will act as keys to the group, but you will have to bear with me on that one.
Bob has my email address, so maybe some of you can get Bob to forward me your names, and I will look out for your requests.

Regards
Rob

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Rob

Again, a big THANKS to you for all the info you have provided us (me) on this side of the pond and appreciate your knowledge.......and your book. I've had a couple fellow TU buddies tell me they couldn't find your book until I redirected them to Amazon UK and then all went smoothly! Between all the info from you and all the stuff I get from Steve Cooper, this OLD Yank has many years of fly tying to do (if I live that long!).

Cheers & Best Regards

Bob

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

If you don't have it already, and you're considering a soft hackle text, Robert Smith's is the one to get, IMHO.

I don't have anything against Amazon but you may want to order it directly from Coch Y Bonddu Books: http://www.anglebooks.com/the-north-cou ... smith.html. BTW, If you go through Amazon UK, you may be indirectly ordering it from Coch Y Bonddu anyway.

-Dwight

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Gossamer's purple silk with dyed Mallard Flank tied to make a too long feather fit the overall dimensions of a 14 barbless.

Looking at that pic some more I think there is adequate room in there for a nice silver tag or gold tag to go with it.

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

On the topic of YLI 100 weight as a replacement to Pearsall's.... My wife was placing an Amazon order and I said what the heck, throw in some bobbins of YLI.

I received a partial order of 216 (hot orange), and 213 (straw). From comparison to the bobbins of Pearsall's I have in those colors, the YLI, and the Pearsall's are indistinguishable from each other. The weight and consistency of the threads is a match as well. You lose the satisfaction of using the cool little bobbins and accompanying bobbin holder, but I see no reason why the YLI will not perform as an analog to Pearsall's.

I will tie some Partridge and Oranges tonight to confirm the on hook performance.

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Lupalupa wrote:
I will tie some Partridge and Oranges tonight to confirm the on hook performance.
Lupa, be sure to view them against the traditional colors .....when wet.

Seems to be a good test.

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

Lupalupa wrote:On the topic of YLI 100 weight as a replacement to Pearsall's.... My wife was placing an Amazon order and I said what the heck, throw in some bobbins of YLI.

I received a partial order of 216 (hot orange), and 213 (straw). From comparison to the bobbins of Pearsall's I have in those colors, the YLI, and the Pearsall's are indistinguishable from each other. The weight and consistency of the threads is a match as well. You lose the satisfaction of using the cool little bobbins and accompanying bobbin holder, but I see no reason why the YLI will not perform as an analog to Pearsall's.

YLI 100 is twice the diameter of Pearsall's, but I don't see why it won't work as a perfect replacement if the colors are the same.

I'd like to see the results of your test!

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

After reading this post when it first came out, I ran down to my local shop and bought the last 4 spools of purple they had, bringing my personal stash to 6 spools! I really like this color/size for some of my wet flies, as well as a few nymphs.

I still have access to other colors of pearsall's gossamer thread, too. Any other specific colors I should add to the collection before it's too late? No, I can't add all of them! No claret, or reds, I'm afraid. Mostly lighter shades of yellow, straw, etc.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”