Whip finishing tool

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

WYETHUNDER
Sport

Whip finishing tool

Post by WYETHUNDER »

Guys
I sometimes use a whip finishing tool which has the curved hook on the end which rotates around the point where it's being tied off. The thread is hooked back to a sprung wire arm which provides some tension.
However I have seen them made where it's just formed on a rigid fixed distance.
Is there any advantage one over the other?
The reason I ask is sometimes my thread comes off the wire arm and I loose tension causing it to unravel.

addicted to vise
Master Guide

Re: Whip finishing tool

Post by addicted to vise »

i believe the latter is a "Mattarelli" type, and the tool i've had most success with.
The former, is spring loaded and tension on the loop when winding makes the thread loop smaller - many years after the fact, i realized i was using this tool incorrectly... but now i'm on the Mattarelli type, i'm not going back. Of course, you could learn to whip finish by hand, which was how i started, many years ago, but upon taking up with fly tying again after a 20 year hiatus, i started with the tools.

Mattarelli type
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1V9mUufmd8

Spring loaded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-bMEgIolM

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

When I use a whip finishing tool the one that I always go to is the Mattarelli style finisher. They generally come in two sizes, a smaller version and a large version. If you do get one, get the large one. There is nothing that can be done with the smaller one that can't be done with the larger one, however to the contrary, there are things that can be done with the larger one that cannot be done with the smaller version.

Best of luck.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

I have used the Mattarelli whip finisher for longer than I can remember. For some unknown reason, I have accumulated a couple of them. On the one I use the most, the opposite end (from the thread hook) that is inside the brass barrel, is flared on the end and I used a small jewelers triangular file to file a "V"into the metal and use that to cut my thread after whip finishing.

addicted to vise
Master Guide

Red64 wrote:I have used the Mattarelli whip finisher for longer than I can remember. For some unknown reason, I have accumulated a couple of them. On the one I use the most, the opposite end (from the thread hook) that is inside the brass barrel, is flared on the end and I used a small jewelers triangular file to file a "V"into the metal and use that to cut my thread after whip finishing.
This is how they were originally designed, but the after market options didnt have the cutter.

The new Loon devise is made with a cutter - its not too expensive at around $12. I like the wider thumb grip offered by the loon tools. Their bobbin holder is quite nice to use, and i'll probably pick up the whip finisher soon too.

E

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

The standard Matarelli whip finishers didn't have that cutter notch. Frank Matarelli specially made some for friends and a few for Blue Ribbon Flies to which he added the cutter notch. He made all of the whip finishers so there wasn't any distinction between original or "aftermarket" versions.

addicted to vise
Master Guide

16pmd wrote:The standard Matarelli whip finishers didn't have that cutter notch. Frank Matarelli specially made some for friends and a few for Blue Ribbon Flies to which he added the cutter notch. He made all of the whip finishers so there wasn't any distinction between original or "aftermarket" versions.

thanks for the clarification on the cutter, I didnt know it was a limited number made that way . By aftermarket, i meant all the others who copied Frank's design and not those made by Frank.

E

Heddon20
Guide

Post by Heddon20 »

SpringCreek wrote:When I use a whip finishing tool the one that I always go to is the Mattarelli style finisher. They generally come in two sizes, a smaller version and a large version. If you do get one, get the large one. There is nothing that can be done with the smaller one that can't be done with the larger one, however to the contrary, there are things that can be done with the larger one that cannot be done with the smaller version.

Best of luck.

Jim
Or just get both :)

The smaller one is nice when you're tying small flies (i.e. midges), and the large one really comes into it's own when tying patterns that require a long shank hook, and you need to tie off material at the hook bend (i.e Zonker).
Brian

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

I have both sizes of Mattarelli tools as well as a Thompson whip finisher (the style with the spring arm. I also use a half hitch tool, especially if I crowd the eye of the hook and need to push some hackle back. If I am in a hurry I sometimes use a digital whip finisher.
Walt

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

Used an original Mattarelli for a great many years. I now mostly use the Marc Petitjean Whip Finish Tool. Really smooth and nice to use.

carlz
Guide

Post by carlz »

waltryan1 wrote:I have both sizes of Mattarelli tools as well as a Thompson whip finisher (the style with the spring arm. I also use a half hitch tool, especially if I crowd the eye of the hook and need to push some hackle back. If I am in a hurry I sometimes use a digital whip finisher.
I also use both. I would love to find a second real Mattarelli, since it is much nicer than the clones I have. The Thompson's variety can sneek the knot under a parachute easier, but in general I find the Mattarelli nicer to use.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”