Anyone want some European Golden Plover?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Sash
Guide

Anyone want some European Golden Plover?

Post by Sash »

As the cold weather here in the UK worsened at the start of March (the so-called "Beast from the East"), it pushed more and more birds west, in search of unfrozen areas to feed.
In the far south west of Wales we had large numbers of [European] Golden Plover, Lapwing and thrushes that got to coast and, in all too many cases, could get no further. They either died or were predated: a horrible sight.

However, even this cloud has a silver lining: I have had a good scavenge, and now have more Golden Plover wings than I can likely ever use. Quality all OK, and with enough feathers for dozens and dozens of flies.

I am happy to send one to anyone that wants one, and I will even add a small handful of body/tail feathers as well.

I return, would you send me some of flies that you tie with them?

Please PM me your details. May take a bit of time to get them across the Atlantic......

tight lines
Sash

Sash
Guide

Re: Anyone want some European Golden Plover?

Post by Sash »

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this: I have had a huge amount of demand for these, but if you have already sent me a PM you are on the list!

Three issues I would appreciate some advice and forbearance on:
1) Several people have asked for a pair of wings. Unless there is a mind-bogglingly good reason why a pair is needed (matched slips etc), I am inclined just to send single wings (plus body feathers) out: that way more of you can get some. And it is spider patterns that are the real focus for plover, surely?
2) The wings have all been in a freezer for several weeks. I was intending to treat them with borax, alum and/or napthalene before sending out. Any suggestions?
3) I presume fly tieing materials can just be posted? Anyone have any experiences or advice, especially about your end of the postal system? it would be a shame to send these to you and get them confiscated.....

I am a bit tied up at present, so may be after Easter before I send these. Hope that is OK.
thanks
Sash

Sash
Guide

Post by Sash »

I think I am out of wings, I am afraid! No more PMs, please.
But I would appreciate some feedback on my questions above

Several of you have offered to pay something to cover postage etc., which is kind of you.
I am not requesting this: I am not doing this for commercial gain, and am really happy to take flies in return. I really like the fact that so many of you appreciate the soft hackle traditions of the [British] North Country, and are keen to work with such hard to find materials.

The real danger is that, if/when I get across to the US, I might ask for your advice on great places to fish etc!

Thanks again
Sash

tackleman
Guide

Post by tackleman »

Paying it ahead, as you are doing, generates good karma.
If you're ever in my area looking for assistance, you'll get it!!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Borax, mixed with a bit of salt seems to facilitate drying and stops decay. Let them air dry after coating them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Prairie Drifter
Guide

Post by Prairie Drifter »

You should remove the first two sections of wing bones and meat. Should look like a miniature chicken wing. Then salt/borax the exposed skin.
North American & National Champion Taxidermist
Specializing in "Catch and Release" fish mounts

Custom Bamboo & fiberglass Rods

http://www.prairiedrifter.com

Hoosier
Sport

Post by Hoosier »

Hi, Sash, thanks for the wing and feathers, much appreciated. If you ever need info or help on fly fishing in Michigan or Midwest America, just PM me. Thanks again

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”