Frank Matarelli Dies at 102

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Frank Matarelli Dies at 102

Post by Tim Anderson »

From an email from the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club (GGACC):

"Long time GGACC Honored member Frank Matarelli passed away on August 17th at the age of 102. Frank joined the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club on December 2, 1957. With a membership lasting more than 60 years, Frank is believed to have been our oldest and longest living member. Frank was a well known fly tier in the fly fishing community and the inventor of several popular tools of the fly tying craft — the Matarelli thread bobbin holder and the Matarelli whip finish tool, both pictured above in a shadow box that hangs proudly on the wall of the GGACC Angler’s Lodge.”

Tim

tackleman
Guide

Re: Frank Matarelli Dies at 102

Post by tackleman »

Could be proof that days of flyfishing aren't subtracted from your life.
Tight Lines Frank! RIP!

Planettrout
Guide

Post by Planettrout »

My son Michael took this photo when he visited the GGACC this past December:

I am fortunate enough to have acquired some of his wonderful tools over the years...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I was privileged to have met Frank at his lovely stone house in West Yellowstone, MT during a summer many years ago, and purchased wonderful fly tying tools directly from him.

My sincere condolences to his family and many friends.
Frank certainly had a life well-lived.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

pittendrigh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by pittendrigh »

These Frank Matarelli flies were photographed at Don Labbe's house, about a year before Don died.

http://montana-riverboats.com/?page=Fli ... dslideshow

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Rest, sir.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I just found out from a member of the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club (GGACC) that sometime ago Frank Matarelli junior passed away. In June I learned through a couple of the GGACC members some of the history of Frank Matarelli and the various tools he made. I would hope someone knowledgeable writes about Frank Matarelli and his fly tying tools to be preserved for the future. It seems like only those fly tiers in the San Francisco Bay area really got to meet him and see all his tools, including his unique bullet tool, which I own a copy of.

I love the history of our sport and I hope we can preserve Frank Matarelli's contributions and his history for others to enjoy.

Regards,

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

WiFlyFisher wrote:
09/13/21 18:59
I It seems like only those fly tiers in the San Francisco Bay area really got to meet him and see all his tools, including his unique bullet tool, which I own a copy of.

"Bullet tool"? Can you elaborate, John--maybe post a pic? Let's see if we can get Mr. Rusty Dunn to write a piece on Matarelli's tools--.

bb

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Ok bullet tool? I would love to see an example...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

I’ve had Matarelli tools for over 40 years. The only bobbins I’ll use. Ticks me off when some vendors sell Matarelli whip finishers, but they’re really just “Matarelli-style” whip finishers, not the real thing.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

The Matarelli "bullet tool" was a hackle plier with the body made from a .38 caliber shell. Inside the shell was a spring attached to a narrow hook that protruded from a tube attached to the shell. A plunger caused the hook to come out of the tube to grab the hackle stem and relaxing the plunger caused the hook to retract back into the tube, gripping the hackle stem. Like every Matarelli tool, it was very precisely made. If someone doubted whether it could hold the hackle stem securely he would demonstrate it by grabbing one hair from the back of the doubter's hand or wrist and pulling until the hair came out or the victim yelled "uncle!"

Two GGACC members, Tom Chin & Rouel Herico (of C& H bamboo rods), got permission from Frank to make the bullet tool and other of his tools. Their bullet tool is just like Frank's and works just as well. They make a few, and their tools are in demand by the knowledgeable tiers who know about them.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

16pmd wrote:
09/14/21 22:57
The Matarelli "bullet tool" was a hackle plier with the body made from a .38 caliber shell. Inside the shell was a spring attached to a narrow hook that protruded from a tube attached to the shell. A plunger caused the hook to come out of the tube to grab the hackle stem and relaxing the plunger caused the hook to retract back into the tube, gripping the hackle stem.
So if I understand this correctly, the operation is not unlike the electric/electronic engineer's test clips?

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

16pmd wrote:
09/14/21 22:57
The Matarelli "bullet tool" was a hackle plier with the body made from a .38 caliber shell. Inside the shell was a spring attached to a narrow hook that protruded from a tube attached to the shell. A plunger caused the hook to come out of the tube to grab the hackle stem and relaxing the plunger caused the hook to retract back into the tube, gripping the hackle stem. Like every Matarelli tool, it was very precisely made. If someone doubted whether it could hold the hackle stem securely he would demonstrate it by grabbing one hair from the back of the doubter's hand or wrist and pulling until the hair came out or the victim yelled "uncle!"

Two GGACC members, Tom Chin & Rouel Herico (of C& H bamboo rods), got permission from Frank to make the bullet tool and other of his tools. Their bullet tool is just like Frank's and works just as well. They make a few, and their tools are in demand by the knowledgeable tiers who know about them.
Thank you for your insights.

I met Rouel Herico this past June and saw his tools and some of Matarelli's original tools he had with him. Rouel actually did the one hair test on me with the bullet tool he had made. From my conversations with Rouel, Frank Matarelli only made a few bullet tools and gave a few to close friends. Frank also attended a few Foundation Dinners and brought 2 or 3 bullet tools to auction off at the functions. Rouel told me as 16pmd stated that Frank gave his blessing to Rouel and Tom Chin to make his tools, but they do not put Frank's initials on the tools. No initials are on the tools at all.

I ordered the bullet tool and a whip finisher with a bamboo handle from Rouel in mid-June, which I recently received in the mail. The tools are extremely well made and are not cheap. Too me they are worth it. I have used both tools and they work perfectly.

We see Matarelli tool "copies" everywhere but until recently I knew very little about Frank Matarelli. Thanks to some of the GGACC members I have recently met I learned much more about Frank Matarelli.

John

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

"So if I understand this correctly, the operation is not unlike the electric/electronic engineer's test clips?"

Yes, the basic design is similar, but the precision, materials, and functionality of the Matarelli tool are far superior. The hook is smoothed so it won't break fragile hackles, but will grip like a pit bull because of a stronger spring. Its heavier weight keeps the hackle tightly in place when it's hanging from the fly. And its built to last a lifetime.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I want one!

Jay Edwards

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

bluesjay wrote:
09/16/21 23:49
Hi Guys, I want one!

Jay Edwards
So do I ;-)

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Did Frank Matarelli make a special tool for Cal Bird, his neighbor?

Someone I chatted with thought that Frank might have made a special tool for Cal for making his Bird's Nest.

Thanks,

John

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Could be. They were friends and swapped ideas for tying techniques. Cal sold a set of tools for dubbing and reinforcing peacock heel. Might have been designed and/or made by Frank. Cal was a commercial artist, Frank was a machinist and they both developed innovative tying tools and techniques. Cal was also a wizard at dying materials and mixing the materials to make color blends that were more lifelike than uniform single-color materials.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Could be. They were friends and swapped ideas for tying techniques. Cal sold a set of tools for dubbing and reinforcing peacock herl. Might have been designed and/or made by Frank. Cal was a commercial artist, Frank was a machinist and they both developed innovative tying tools and techniques. Cal was also a wizard at dying materials and mixing the materials to make color blends that were more lifelike than uniform single-color materials.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

16pmd wrote:
09/17/21 16:07
Could be. They were friends and swapped ideas for tying techniques. Cal sold a set of tools for dubbing and reinforcing peacock heel. Might have been designed and/or made by Frank. Cal was a commercial artist, Frank was a machinist and they both developed innovative tying tools and techniques. Cal was also a wizard at dying materials and mixing the materials to make color blends that were more lifelike than uniform single-color materials.
Thank you again!

You are a wealth of knowledge.
:wave

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”