Frank Matarelli Dies at 102

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Frank Matarelli Dies at 102

Post by Eperous »

Belated, but sad news indeed... loved, and own many of his bobbins, and other tying tool... they were/are the best,,,,

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I took a few fly tying lessons from Cal Bird. He showed me the way to make a loop with the herl and thread which was spun with a tool that had a hook to spin it with. He had me make my own, which I did using welder's brazing rod. I still have it. I think Umpqua sold the tool as a Cal Bird tool. I have one. I still use the one I made.

Jay Edwards

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

I was chatting with a good friend of mine who mentioned he had a specially made Matarelli bullet tool that he acquired quite a while ago. The tool is all brass with the initials "F M". Other than that, it looks and works exactly as the bullet tool with a 38 cartridge. He sent me a couple of photos with permission to post them.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

double post sorry
-John
Last edited by BigTJ on 09/26/21 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Sad news. I have several FM bobbins and one of his whip finishers. Although I stopped using the whip finisher 25 years ago, the bobbins are daily drivers and work as well as they did back when I bought them in the 80's. I'm confident they will be passed on for generations. Mr. Matarelli sure contributed to the craft.

-John

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”