Humpy

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

thehersh
Guide

Re: Humpy

Post by thehersh »

It is also a good sunfish fly.Tossed under overhanging trees or bushes,you dont want a soft landing.You want that bug that fell hard in the water effect.Not always easy to side arm a fly in that window between low branches and the water.I have also read it is a popular fly in the flooded cypress in the south.Fun to tie fun to fish.I use foam for the back and use colored antron for the under body over the deer hair.Not as pretty as the all deer hair but i can catch several fish on a fly.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

This is my go to fly for NZ backcountry trout in a sz 14+ but the colour that really works is iridescent blue; they find it anywhere and irresistible. I think locally they call it a "bluebottle" similar looking to a blue blow fly that hang around the back end of sheep.
Cheers,
Mark
ps. the hackle is black as well as the deerhair. I usually tie mine with a white post to make it more visible from a distance.
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

mrampant: that is interesting colours. I'm picturing kingfisher blue as a sub. Maybe a a pink post for even more visibility.
thanks for sharing

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

With hot orange thread body

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

mrampant wrote:This is my go to fly for NZ backcountry trout in a sz 14+ but the colour that really works is iridescent blue; they find it anywhere and irresistible. I think locally they call it a "bluebottle" similar looking to a blue blow fly that hang around the back end of sheep.
Cheers,
Mark
ps. the hackle is black as well as the deerhair. I usually tie mine with a white post to make it more visible from a distance.
+1 and all black

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Cal Bird taught me this fly in '65, and I think it was a Goofus Bug, but....

Jay Edwards

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Has been a while I tied a few Humpies.

Yellow Humpy

Royal Humpy

Stay safe everyone!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Two drawings from very different era's.

First one is by Dave Whitlock. The Humpy is one of the many western flies in a painting he made.

The second one is a drawing done by the South African fly tier/author Gordon van der Spuy. He just finished a book and this Humpy is drawn on the limited edition copy of his book I ordered.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

Before the name was settled on Humpy for the name, I've heard then called Goofus Bugs or even earlier than that, Tom Thumbs!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Double Humpy
Please no orders! :( :D

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

That is very nice.

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Early 70s on the Ranch in late summer in to september a royal humpy in #18 was the go -to fly. May still be today but l haven't fished there in that season in years.

sagegrouse715
Guide

Post by sagegrouse715 »

In the 70's on the Ranch, I too used a royal wulff or humpy with success when fishing bank feeders in the scum.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Beautiful ties ibookje ! Photos too!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Thanks Mer & Marty!
I like my Humpies best in size 14 & 16. I'll tie a few in size 18 for my next(?) Ranch visit.

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Great looking flies. That double humpy is amazing. I can barely get a decent looking humpy tied much less a double

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Brandon:
Humpies are one of those flies you have to "tie by the dozen" to get your proportions and amounts figured out.
Sometimes that means "tie one on the hook, cut it off, repeat until you get it right" then tie the rest.
I've had good luck with a green (more fluorescent green, Unistretch) body, then natural deer hair for tail, shell, wings. Medium dun hackle.

I've also used foam for the shellback, makes it a little easier to tie. Do the wings and tails like on a Wulff (maybe a little shorter wings than a Wulff), tie in foam by the bend, wrap underbody forward, fold foam over like on a beetle, tie off, tie in hackle.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

One tied this past weekend

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Beautiful flies and great photography as well!

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

Great fly and great tie. I buy a dozen!

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”