Midge Cluster Mysticism

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Midge Cluster Mysticism

Post by Eric Peper »

cdmoore wrote:Believe this is what Eric is talking about:

https://www.flytierspage.com/jcramer/sp ... luster.htm
Eggzackly right, except the pattern I originally used on the San Juan was all black. I later altered it with a grizzly hackle as I thought it looked a little better.

Thank you, Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Midge Cluster Mysticism

Post by snorider »

Allright! now I see the idea. I am going to tie some up tonight. The 6 day streak of midge cluster madness was starting to taper off yesterday. Still caught a good number of fish on the grey cdc mayfly, thought about naming it the cluster...well I guess I will just call it the grey mayfly. Thanks a million guys.
Michael
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”