Favorite Fly Tier/video maker

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Morten

Re: Favorite Fly Tier/video maker

Post by Morten »

Tim Flaglers videos are superbly made, and without annoying background music.

https://vimeo.com/user3412872

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Hans Weilenmann

RandallM
Master Guide

Post by RandallM »

+1 on Tim Flagler's videos.

I've also been watching a lot of videos from Kelly Galloup, at the Slide inn in Montana. Nice and to the point, not fussy about materials and options. A great guy, if you ever happen to be in SW Montana.

spm
Sport

Post by spm »

Definitely Tim Flagler from "Tightline Productions". I will sometimes go to "In The Riffle". I know several have mentioned Davie McPhail and he is very good, but I can't understand a word he says. I'm sure it's just my uneducated mid-western ear that is at fault. I have turned on the CC, but it becomes obvious to me that they don't know what he's saying, either.

Thanks,
steve
"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

putemback
Guide

Post by putemback »

spm wrote:
06/22/20 09:27
Definitely Tim Flagler from "Tightline Productions". I will sometimes go to "In The Riffle". I know several have mentioned Davie McPhail and he is very good, but I can't understand a word he says. I'm sure it's just my uneducated mid-western ear that is at fault. I have turned on the CC, but it becomes obvious to me that they don't know what he's saying, either.

Thanks,
steve
+1
I think Charlie Craven and Tim Flagler videos are top shelf, and their tips and tricks are very helpful.
Justin

"I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person."-Bill Murray

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Jealous of the Del Mazza vid, though I have no player for those the old tapes.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I wish that Mazza vid was made into a dvd or made into something we could stream or download.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I would love to get a copy of Del's video. If anyone has a way to copy it, or an extra copy, I'd love to buy it.

archt
Sport

Post by archt »

This is old news, but I have enjoyed Davie McPhail and his Scottish accent for quite a while. Recently I discovered Barry Ord Clarke, and bought his book. His videos are also excellent,though I suspect he is actually Scottish since his accent sounds to me as though he is from Leith. But I'm not the accent snob the Brits are. In any case, I thoroughly enjoy his videos. I do wish these videographers would trim their nails and use some lotion, but in fact, despite having a number of fly tying books, it is so much easier to watch an example on screen. And some of the "tricks" of the trade have been much clearer than in print.

Morten

Post by Morten »

RandallM wrote:
06/22/20 08:46
+1 on Tim Flagler's videos.

I've also been watching a lot of videos from Kelly Galloup, at the Slide inn in Montana. Nice and to the point, not fussy about materials and options. A great guy, if you ever happen to be in SW Montana.
I can agree on that. Kelly is a very nice person, the kind of guy you can feel is mentally present when you visit his shop. I deeply regret not buying some more comparadun hair when I visit his shop the last time.

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

Most of my fishing is Stillwater fishing, my nod goes to Brian Chan and Phil Rowley. When I do stream fish and need to brush up on patterns then it's Jack Dennis.

Chasin Brookies

Post by Chasin Brookies »

Ian Anderson with ‘Dressed Irons’ does a fine job. Surprised he hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Rob Smith has recently gotten into the YouTube game.

GBU31v1
Guide

Post by GBU31v1 »

Hans Stephenson from Dakota Angler and Outfitter. His videos are darn good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33y6GMXdsB8

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”