Preferred Scissors for Fly Tying

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Preferred Scissors for Fly Tying

Post by snorider »

I love the little spring loaded scissors like these https://www.amazon.com/Sago-Brothers-Bo ... =hi&sr=1-7

They are CHEAP at less than 2$ and last a long time, plus are great for big handed, fat fingered folks like me.

I do use the fiskars fine point scissors for delicate work.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I have a number of scissors of all makes and models that friends and family have gifted or donated to me because they knew I tie flies. I have a couple pair of Dr. Slick that I use most often.

Pat

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Thompson Ice/ Anvils, though I have an early pair of Thompson's, and lots of other scissors. I have a pair I got from Roy Patrick I like.....

Jay Edwards

bamboo
Master Guide

Post by bamboo »

My favorite is Dr. Slick Razor. Very fine point & super sharp with the adjustable hinge. Nice finish all over too.

bamboo...mike

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

For fine work (clipping renegade hackle fibers, etc) I use a curved fine tipped scissors I bought at a manicure shop.

For deer hair work I use the scissors given to me by the late Chris Helm. Ice tempered and finely serrated.

Both are German scissors.

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

Make friends with an opthamalic surgeon and get some iris scissors.... or Dr. Slicks otherwise

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I tie with 2 pairs of scissors. One in each hand. One of my friend’s calls me Edward Scissorhands :). For a long time, I used the Dr Slick tungsten carbide blades. In my left hand I would use the general purpose blades and in my right I use the arrow points. The last year I moved back to their “regular” blades as they are serrated. The tungsten models are not. But they stay sharper longer. I have been using the microtip blade in my left and the arrows in my right. I tie mostly trout flies.

Dr Slick makes some solid scissors for a very, very reasonable price. But I would still encourage you to high grade them if you can as some will feel/close differently and there can be minor differences in the blades. Holding the blades up to a ceiling light can help while looking at the blades.

Choosing a pair of scissors can be a personalized decision. I would encourage you to check out several brands and select one that feels best for your tying or suits your needs best. You will find some people like longer or shorter blades or different lengths or types of handles. As bit of fun experimentation may be needed to find what you like best. I have tried lots of scissors over the years and have been pretty happy with Dr Slicks. I could never never get used to their razor scissors though. I also saw some nice Tiemco scissors online somewhere. They looked pretty nice. So I might be trying a pair of those in the future. They were a lot more expensive though.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Wow Dan you sure tie dangerously! :)

dborjas
Guide

Post by dborjas »

Thought you all might like to see the kind of scissors Al Troth used at one time. He modified a pair of cuticle scissors so he cold keep them in his hand at all times. I keep this pair he gave me at my tying desk, I figure it makes for good tying mojo :)

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Pretty cool Dave. Thanks for sharing that.

Jay, haha. It’s a bit of crutch really. I am left handed but tie right handed as it felt more natural. When I started commercial tying I had to learn to tie with my scissors in my hand. Some operations just felt awkward or inefficient so learned to tie with scissors in each hand.

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

I have been through a number of scissors over the years, but for detailed work I currently use Veniard's tungsten scissors. Interestingly, my surgeon friend was very impressed by them and found them as good as anything he had at work.

Regards,
Martin in Sweden

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

For the last 10 years or so, Semperfli's Sixth Finger for general finishing and fine work. For hair, Dr. Slick Razor 4.5".

Kenneth

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Dr. Slick Razor scissors for most of my tying. I keep the adjusting nut on the palm side of my hand. General purpose scissors for hair/fur. Nail clippers for wire.

bprof
Guide

Post by bprof »

I've been a shameless scissor junkie all my tying life (35+ yrs.) In my opinion, good cutting tools are essential for efficient tying. After a vice that has a firm hold on a hook, good scissors are the most important tools. They don't have to be expensive, but they must be sharp.

Started out with red handled Thompsons, followed by blue handled Anvils (single serrated),for a while black plastic handled Kershaw II (single serrated), then onto DOVO 44 fine-tip & WASA 317-4,5 bent shaft from Solingen (both double serrated).
For synthetics & foam: an inexpensive rough (serrated) scissors by Dr Slicks (Pakistan). Very useful. Saves your more expensive scissors.
For GSP threads: Olfa SILVER (Japan) Auto Lock cutter with brake off blades.

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Another vote for the Dr Slicks Razor scissors

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I liked the Dr. Slick tungsten carbide scissors for a while but they don't hold up. They have loosened and don't want to cut synthetics. I have tied thousands of Antron yarn parachute posts with one or two thicknesses of spooled yarn, not big hanks of saltwater synthetics, and they simply have not held up. I am using the Loon scissors at the moment which seem to be decent and reasonably priced, though the blades are thicker than I prefer but I have no reason to believe they will last for than a few years.

I am intrigued by the Renomed scissors but since I cant go see them at a fly shop...

In general I have been disappointed with everything I have ever got from Dr. Slick. Their ceramic bobbins routinely chafe and shred fine thread from inside the tube. Don't make anything good, just put your money into advertising!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

mtn
Master Guide

Post by mtn »

For you folks who like the Dr. Slick razor scissors, do you use the all purpose or the arrows? I've been using the standard Dr. Slick Arrows for a long time, I ty mostly size 10 and smaller stuff and do detailed close up to 28's. The razors look a lot bigger than I'm use to.. at least on internet photos.
Thanks, Mike

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Mike, I like both. If I had to choose just one, it might be the arrow. But I still like the all purpose for some other things better. You may want to check out the microtips too. I probably like them better than the all purpose. Heck, as reasonably priced as they are, nothing wrong with buying a few different pairs.

mtn
Master Guide

Post by mtn »

thanks ffftroutbum!

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

For fine work I use a curved fine tipped scissors from a German brand called ‘Zwilling’.

For hair work I use also a German brand called ‘Sollingen’. Mine is Chris Helm’s personal scissors just a few months before he passed away. These scissors can be bought from here:

https://whitetailflytieing.com/collecti ... -hair-wasa

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”