production tying

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

dborjas
Guide

production tying

Post by dborjas »

I used to do a fair amount of "production" tying. Every now and again I like to bang out a dozen or so under the clock to see how rusty I am. This dozen weighted bugger group was tied in under an hour. The trick is to sustain that pace for an 8hr day! Just having fun on a rainy day tying session!

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: production tying

Post by mer »

Better you than me :) Never done any production tying, I just tie for myself. But I've learned to "tie in sixes" so that I can develop a rhythm and consistency.

Takes a lot of flies to earn enough to go fishing. I have a lot of respect for people that do that.

Perry Palin
Master Guide

Post by Perry Palin »

I can still tie 20 Trico spinners in an hour, but it's a simple pattern. Most of my trout flies are 8-12 per hour. I am not trying for speed. Speed is secondary to a well made durable fly.

The 8-12 per hour is for the first hour. Then I get up from the bench and do something else. When I tied for others, there were a few day when I tied 100 flies in a day. I was exhausted at the end of the day, it wasn't fun anymore, and I cut that out.

In the winter tying season I will tie two to five dozen of a pattern, trying for consistency. The result is lots of flies that I never have a chance to use.

spundun
Sport

Post by spundun »

They get pretty good looking after the first couple hundred..{lol}

spun dun

Hankinsfly
Guide

Post by Hankinsfly »

“Never have a chance to use.” I have that going on. Not really because I tie on a production volume, but my tying seems to get better every year. I look at a pattern I tied this year as opposed to the ones I tied last year, and this year’s just look much better. Then I end up tossing the ones from last year in a jar on my desk. Those flies caught fish just fine, but I just want my boxes to reflect my current tying.

The highlight of my tying in the last year has been parachute hackle and extended bodies. I tried and tried and tried, then one day it just clicked. For all I know, next year’s might be better still than this years ties and I have to toss another couple hundred.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”