Classic Streamer Heads

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Classic Streamer Heads

Post by Hellmtflies »

I am about to engage in tying a few classic streamer flies. I am curious as to what others use to complete the heads on the flies so that they look like a black glossy cone. Salmon flies also have these type of head finishes.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Classic Streamer Heads

Post by gt05254 »

Well, I use 14/0 thread and 3 to 4 coats of Cellire clear varnish. Others will certainly do it differently.
Gary

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

I use 6/0 or 8/0 thread, but untwist it so it lies very flat to begin with. Then, like Gary, multiple coats of thinned cement like Cellire or other clear lacquer.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

"OK" Thank you guys. I've been using Sally Hanson's "Hard as Nails" and it doesn't seem to work as well as the photos above. I always thought that I needed a black coat before the clear. Now Where can I get this "Cellire"?

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

If I'm tying a very special fly then I use Bill Baileys Kelson formula. For others I have used Loon black head cement and on an occasion I'll use Silver Creeks thin formula UV.

addicted to vise
Master Guide

Post by addicted to vise »

i generally use Cellire, two coats of thin to penetrate the head and then 1-2 coats of thick to gloss it up. make sure all coats are well dried before you do the next one

Somtimes on the salmon flies i'll use mulitple coats of shellac, but thats a whole other ball game for drying times.

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

You have a pm, Hellmtflies, re: Cellire
Gary

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

gt05254 wrote:
06/15/20 11:36
You have a pm, Hellmtflies, re: Cellire
Gary

Got it! Thank you. PM returned.

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

solarez bonedry uv resin

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

I would like to try that cellire on my clouser’s, where do you guys procure it?

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Stoneriveroutfitters.com carries it these days. I thought most people use epoxy of some sort on clousers?
Gary

Loogie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Loogie »

Gary, epoxy works well, but thought I would try this cellire stuff just to see.

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

gt05254 wrote:
06/16/20 06:40
Stoneriveroutfitters.com carries it these days. I thought most people use epoxy of some sort on clousers?
Gary
Most use the uv product now, which is much faster. But for a Clouser I personally just use a little varnish because the bucktail gets beat up and chipped away, and the eyes don't last too long. It makes it easier to clean the stainless steel hook and retie the fly. L
ousy backcasts will ruin the fly as well.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

By no means a classic streamer but for my versions of streamers I like Silver Creek's UV products to finish them. It takes the thread lines out and leaves a hard, glossy finish.

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

In this case there is no difference between a boat or a fly - it is the number of coats that makes the difference. :)

As I often tie with a darkish yellow or brown thread, I use 3 to 4 coats of Cellire clear varnish and a final coat of Cellire black varnish. Or rather, as many coats that it takes for me to be satisfied. I have tried some other brands, such as Fly-tite and Hard as Nails, but in my opinion Cellire penetrates best.

I often like to use a contrasting thread so I see what I am doing, so I avoid black thread when tying with dark or dull materials. Hence a final black coat, unless I prefer to have a brown head which is fine on many flies. On occasion, I change to a very fine black or red thread for the head and use clear varnish only. It depends a bit on how much effort I have put in the fly as whole, and it is mostly on salmon flies.

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

I can add that if I want a red head, I do not use red Cellire as it in my opinion is a bit too "pinkish". Instead, I follow the lead of the the Swedish fly tier Lennart Bergvist and use Humbrol Enamel paint. I currently use the colour #19, "Bright red".

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thanx guys. I'll do my best and let you know how things turn out.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Some of the old Partridge hooks double back and create massive heads - from the hook wire.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”