Harrop flies

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

holla999
Sport

Harrop flies

Post by holla999 »

who is interested in these flies, a biot spinner and a spent caddis.
this box is from 20 years of Harrop flies.
greetings from Holland
Peter

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Harrop flies

Post by snorider »

I am! Do you have a close up photo showing the flies? Rene is my fly tying hero...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

snorider wrote:
06/18/20 10:29
I am! Do you have a close up photo showing the flies? Rene is my fly tying hero...
He's amazing. His CDC work is unreal

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

The thing I admire about the Harrops' patterns (and that I try to emulate in my own) is that they tie imitations of trout food. They select the materials that best mimic the physical features of the insects they try to imitate. That their flies are lovely to look at is a bonus. One of my favorite quotes is "Functional beauty is no mere whimsy, but the last refinement of efficiency." It was written in praise of "best" British double guns, but it's equally relevant to the Harrops' flies (or fine cane rods, for that matter).

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

PolishSteel
Sport

Post by PolishSteel »

I have the same thing except mine is professionally framed. I wonder how many millions they are up to now?

holla999
Sport

Post by holla999 »

hello snowrider,
send me your adres to mail, P.den.Hollander@hetnet.nl and I send you the box
gr. Peter

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Peter,
Thank You! that is a very generous offer. I have sent you an email.
Best
Michael
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Rene Harrop, in my opinion is a genius. His flies are innovative, beautiful, and fool jaded trout. His instructional writing--particularly, "Learning From the Water"--is first rate. And his drawings of trout and aquatic insects are near perfection. I consider him the renaissance man of trout fishing.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

billems wrote:
09/26/20 00:23
Rene Harrop, in my opinion is a genius. His flies are innovative, beautiful, and fool jaded trout. His instructional writing--particularly, "Learning From the Water"--is first rate. And his drawings of trout and aquatic insects are near perfection. I consider him the renaissance man of trout fishing.
Agree 100%

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”