2tone caddis

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

dborjas
Guide

2tone caddis

Post by dborjas »

I was looking for a small, low riding black stone/caddis that I could see. Came up with this guy. Peacock body, brown hackle( always like that combo). They see black looking up, I see light elk hair. #12 1xshort. Little yellow sally 2tone will be next.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 2tone caddis

Post by mer »

Very nice.

bear-kodiak
Guide

Post by bear-kodiak »

Hi David
Did you put the two colors of Elk on separately ?.....jim

dborjas
Guide

Post by dborjas »

b-kodiak, On this batch I did. I also tie them staggered. The black wing tied in front of abdomen, build thorax and hackle, then cream elk tied in like regular elk hair caddis. The staggered technique is good on the slightly larger patterns. I stacked this bunch cause I dropped down in hook size and length. Thanks mer, they are sure fun to fish!

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

peacock body "anything" usually works.

"fun to fish" that is the best part.

bear-kodiak
Guide

Post by bear-kodiak »

dborjas wrote:
06/26/20 23:16
I was looking for a small, low riding black stone/caddis that I could see. Came up with this guy. Peacock body, brown hackle( always like that combo). They see black looking up, I see light elk hair. #12 1xshort. Little yellow sally 2tone will be next.

Hi David
What hook are you using for this fly ?

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing the 2tone Little Yellow Sally next, dborjas.

dborjas
Guide

Post by dborjas »

bear-kodiak 1310 daiichi #12. headwaters, the 2tone stone(yellow sally) has been tied and will be fished in the next few days. I hope to get some fish pictures before I post. It turned out good to my eyes, but we will have to see how mr. trout likes it. The Beaverhead is just starting to rev up for the dry fly season!

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”