How delicate is...,

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Emel4
Sport

How delicate is...,

Post by Emel4 »

Pearsall's Gossamer silk? I was recently trying to tie with it and it kept breaking with very little pressure.
I was using on small bobbin and made sure the tension was not too great. I thought maybe there was a small burr on the lip but under inspection could not see any. Any thoughts?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

upstate
Master Guide

Re: How delicate is...,

Post by upstate »

I have used Pearsalls now for years and never have had a problem. The spool could be very old and deterriorated. Try pulling off a few feet and try again. I have also heard of problems with black. If a dyed batch did not come up to specs they would redye it black and thus the silk turned brittle and weak.

Tom

ted patlen
Master Guide

Post by ted patlen »

another possibility is that you are tightening with the thread coming out at a 90 degree angle to the bobbin. This can cause the thread to break at the edge of the bobbin.

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

i have had problems with a couple of spools of black but no other color.

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

I agree with upstate, the silk could be "old" therefore prone to breaking. What kind of bobbin are use using? I have two small barrel ceramic bobbins that are only used for silk bodied soft hackled flies. Can't recall where I bought them but they were specifically marketed for use with silk. Have you tried spinning the silk/bobbin slightly to make it more "rope like"?

Emel4
Sport

Post by Emel4 »

Thank you all for the replies.
I am using a Badger Creek UK silk bobbin. I have had these spools for about a year. I will take a couple feet off and try again.
Is there a recommended bobbin for silk?

Thanks
Mark

bprof
Guide

Post by bprof »

I agree too with the old silk idea.
I've been using two Matarelli mini-bobbin holders, designed for sewing machine or Pearsall's spools. They have a very fine stainless tubes. Had to exchange one of them originally, as there was a burr on in-coming or out-going opening of the tube.

Another bobbin holder that you can try is a Thompson mini.
There were two versions, either double ceramic or stainless for the tubes.

I also own two excellent English mini bobbin holders, hand-made by Ken Newton.
(All these tools are from by companies or individuals no longer making them. I'm sure you can find something on vintage sites or Ebay.)

Image Matarelli (top) Thompson stainless tube (bottom)

Image 2 Thompson double ceramic mini & a hand-made Newton mini bobbin holder from the UK (bottom)
Last edited by bprof on 07/04/20 20:39, edited 3 times in total.

bprof
Guide

Post by bprof »

The bottom bobbin holder is (was?) made by Wasatch specifically for Pearsall's spools. I'm using spools made by Wasatch for their adjustable tension mini bobbin holders. The threads here are unwaxed Flymaster 70D.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”