Stewarts Red Spider

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

upstate
Master Guide

Stewarts Red Spider

Post by upstate »

One I have not seen tied before!

Hook Daiichi 1480 size 14
Silk. Pearsalls Gossamer Yellow #4.
Body. Yellow silk.
Hackle. Landrail. (Unobtainable) I guess Asian Jay under covert feather

bprof
Guide

Re: Stewarts Red Spider

Post by bprof »

Nice. Found a picture of the Red Spider on pg. 41 of "Two Centuries of Soft-Hackled Flies" by S. Nemes. Based on the picture in the book grouse may work.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Other than tradition is there any reason to stop the body of the softie half way back the shank? I just cannot get myself to leave half the hook shank open like that. I just have to run back down the shank and cover it, than usually put a few wraps of herl just behind the hackle.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

Although I don't have any real landfall, awhile back I was able to obtain some "Landrail subs". Pics enclosed for reference.

Bob

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”