What is your favorite Parachute fly?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

DinoC
Guide

What is your favorite Parachute fly?

Post by DinoC »

What is your favorite Parachute fly? Recipes and tying instructions may be added.
Thank you for contributing.
DinoC
Last edited by DinoC on 08/15/20 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What is your favorite Parachute fly pattern?

Post by Hellmtflies »

My better half would say a #16 Olive Parachute. For me it would be a #14 Parachute Adams.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Bonnie Harrop's Paraspinner . . . without question. This is a "design" rather than a pattern, with the design being adapted for patterns to match the size and color of natural insects.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Ray Hencken
Master Guide

Post by Ray Hencken »

Size 8 or 10 Parachute Hopper on western rivers. Large browns and rainbows love them. Sometimes they will sip them and other times they will explode out of the water while taking them.

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

Not really a pattern, but I like dubbing the thorax with some spiky hair and brushing it out so it looks like legs are breaking the film.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What is your favorite Parachute fly?

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Klinkhammer.....

Jay Edwards

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

A #14 Mahogany Dun when Catskill Isonychia are about... it's not a "go-to" pattern, nor even at the top of my list, BUT when I need one, it rarely disappoints...

Truth is, I don't fish parachutes that often... this and a BWO....

Ed
Last edited by Eperous on 08/15/20 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Eric Peper wrote:
08/15/20 11:36
Bonnie Harrop's Paraspinner . . . without question. This is a "design" rather than a pattern, with the design being adapted for patterns to match the size and color of natural insects.

EP
Of course a Harrop, how could one go wrong with anything of theirs?

Ed

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I tie a parachute with a gray body, one brown hackle and a z-Lon trailing shuck. I have taken a lot of fish on it.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Not that I get to use it very often but I like tying the Purple Haze. Lots of people on board have said it is a good change up for the Adams parachute.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

I like many parachute flies. My two favourites are the parachute royal coachman and the parachute brown dun and spinner, with cdc or orange posts, dun with a straight tail in 16 and spinner with a splayed tail in 18, they are deadly in the Mataura River catchment of NZ. The coachman is my go-to fly on Tasmanian rivers and when I used it in Montana, it worked very well on rivers such as the Ruby and assorted back-country creeks (I left one up a tree on the Swan for posterity or perhaps it was just careless casting). Who could also not forget the PA which caught me many fish on the Madison.
Last edited by PT48 on 08/17/20 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Klinkhammer is good.
A generic "peacock herl body, pink post, medium dun or grizzly hackle and tail or zlong tail" size 14 & 16 works a lot of times and the pink post is easier for me to see on the water.

skd75

Post by skd75 »

While not a classic parachute, one of my favorites is the Mercer’s Missing Link, it can be tied in various colors. Also, can’t go wrong with a Parachute Adams.

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

Not really a parachute but it fishes like one: Bob Wyatt's deer hair emerger.
Walt

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

another vote for Bonnie’s Spinner. It is the fly I almost always tie on at the “Ranch” parking lot before I start walking. And quite often it stays on all day. That and later sometimes a black ant tied very similarly (without the coq d’leon tail fibers of course)

paramount
Master Guide

Post by paramount »

Hellmtflies wrote:
08/15/20 11:31
My better half would say a #16 Olive Parachute. For me it would be a #14 Parachute Adams.

Mine would be the same down to a size 18.

Bruce

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

Black ant. Ants are the only parachutes that I regularly tie or fish.

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

My favorite parachute is whatever they're refusing on top at the last minute as a dry fly...
;)

Barleywine
Sport

Post by Barleywine »

Chuck Stranahan's Brindle 'Chute in size 14.

A few years back, I visited Mr. Stranahan's fly shop in Hamilton, MT and showed him my attempts at tying his fly that were based on nothing more than a few Internet photos. He graciously spent more than an hour talking about fishing in the area and showing me the proper way to tie the pattern, complete with samples of the dubbing mix, hackle, and correct deer hair for the tail. He seems like a true gentlemen who is very generous with his time. The Brindle 'Chute is an excellent searching pattern that worked like a charm for me in Montana, and it has been good at pulling up fish in the Delaware River system between hatches.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Easily a Para-Adam for me. BUT, I also like a Para-Pheasant Tail or Hare's Ear. :)

Pat

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”