Floatant for CDC

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Floatant for CDC

Post by PYochim »

Eric Peper wrote:
09/16/20 16:53
Just a thought . . . I bought some dessicant used for keeping fletching on arrows dry; I believe it's fumed silica.
I use that too. It’s Bohning Feather Dry. I bought a bottle about 8 years ago and I restock the Frogs Fanny bottle with it.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Eric Peper wrote:
09/16/20 16:53
And I suspect I'm too old and crabby to change.
:rollin

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

I buy hydrophobic fumed silica by the quart. I’ve tried many ways to refill the small bottles and found the easiest is just to take the cap off the small bottles and scoop up the particles from the quart with the small bottle itself. I also recommend not filling the small bottles Full. Half to three quarters is plenty. I find if I fill it up, I lose a good amount the first time I open the bottle.

Jake

Igloo lake
Sport

Post by Igloo lake »

Don't hold me to this, but I've read that a small turkey baster works for filling smaller bottles.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

When applying floatant to the CDC & Elk do you put it on just the wing or the entire fly?

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

PYochim wrote:
09/27/20 11:09
When applying floatant to the CDC & Elk do you put it on just the wing or the entire fly?
Entire fly! And don't be bashful about it Paul!

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”