Unusual Fly Box?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Unusual Fly Box?

Post by bamboo rodley »

Was wondering if anyone is familiar with this type of fly box. I got this in a group of four boxes I recently purchased. The five discs are magnetic. I wondered if there might be a part missing. The box is about 3.5" x 2.5 " and is marked Charles F Orvis Co. It looks basically unused.

Mahseer
Guide

Re: Unusual Fly Box?

Post by Mahseer »

I have one too, acquired in the same manner. I don't think anything is missing. Mine had a bunch of dries attached to the magnets, and that seems to be the intended purpose: holding dries securely without any pressure on the dressing.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Interesting. I showed a pic some time ago with shower curtain magnets glued to my vise. I could take an Altoids box and glue those shower curtain magnets to it and use it to store not only dries but really small stuff so it will neither blow away or drop out of box because it came loose from foam. This is what I did with my vise and it works great.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

Another one of the boxes I got has magnetic bars. I think the idea of magnets in fly boxes has been around a while. With the new super magnets though they may be more efficient at holding flies.

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

Perrine had a couple of different models with a magnet in them. I thought they were OK for wets, nymphs, and streamers, but tended to crush the hackle on dry flies.
Walt

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”