How many of you use the UV light curing method?

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

How many of you use the UV light curing method?

Post by billems »

I see a lot of videos offering instructions on tying various patterns. I see more and more of these tyers using the UV method of cementing flies. I'm wondering if that method of cementing the fly is popular. And I'd like to hear of that method's advantages and shortcomings.
Thanks

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: How many of you use the UV light curing method?

Post by fishbum »

Works great for protection of prism eyes on streamers and as a quick coating on head of Thunder Creek streamers.

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

Like fishbum posted, it's great for protecting eyes on streamers. I also use UC coating for; shellbacks on scuds/shrimp, and on Water boatman, thin coating on blended thread midges and if I need it to bulk up a pin head to keep a bead on for balanced leeches - sometimes the I.D. of the bead is a touch too big.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

It has become an essential part of my tying in many aspect. It creates a fantastic head on streamers that used to take a half dozen coating with varnish to achieve. It strengthens parts of many flies. It takes over many of the jobs of epoxy without the drying time. At the same time it waits patiently for you to zap it with the UV light before it hardens on you.

It does have drawbacks. Heavier coatings can tend to chip. Less noticeable if layered rather than a big blob. It does NOT have epoxy strength to hold items together. Some say it yellows over time but haven't noticed this myself. Depending on product and viscosity it can run and rotating the fly as you cook the UV is necessary but there are different viscosity blends out there for this purpose.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Never. I prefer dry flies and don't need the excess steps and expense when I do tie the occasional streamer or wet. Rarely tie nymphs and definitely did not want to increase tying steps and time back when I did. Hard flies don't excite me, as I prefer movement via soft materials.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

i use uv resins for fly heads and thunder creeks and coatings on poppers

i do not use it as a "GLUE" to adhere materials together where the light cant penetrate to cure the uv resin

its a coating not a glue

tying note

for some unknown reason at least to me, it can turn a bit cloudy after time and resins can crack over time or improper surface preparation

the photo below could have been "user error" :)

some resins also cure "tacky" to the touch. a coat of sally hansens hard as nails cures this problem

uv resins do not require the $$$ over expensive uv curing lights the resin suppliers want you to buy and can be bought online at much cheaper prices for the same light. they buy the same $ light from china but charge you $$$

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

My concern is the lingering odor of the stuff. I use it for coating the bodies of bonefish flies and wing cases etc., but when I put those flies in a fly box, the odor is apparent when I open the box again. Does it go away? It's my only objection.

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

i do not experience any lingering odors from uv resins

might want to just leave your boxes open for a time to allow any off gassing of the odors

MOD Note: Leaving open in the sunshine should do away with any tackiness or odors.

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I'll try that. I like the ease of using the stuff, eliminates the rotisserie that I was using with slow cure epoxy.
Thanks!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I use it on Brassies, Buzzers and BFMs.

Bacchus_2
Guide

Post by Bacchus_2 »

Personally, I’m a big fan an find UV resin to be quite versatile. One downside is the cost - it can be quite pricey - and I’ve yet to use up a bottle/tube before it hardens and becomes unusable. The other is that many UV torches are underpowered and leave the resin a bit tacky unless you upgrade to a premium UV torch. Yes, Sally Hansen can help but as someone else mentioned, I try to minimize the number of steps to completion when possible. Honestly, I find it almost essential for tying flashback and quill bodied nymphs and will often use it on other nymphs (like Zebra Midges and Two Bit Hookers) to improve durability... I’m an optimist and hope to catch a lot of fish on each tie. I guess that also makes me somewhat deluded... :)

If you have tried it, you should, if only to be your own judge.

Best wishes,

Don
There are times, I think, when a trout angler must prize what he catches with his eyes as much as what he firmly hooks. - H. Middleton

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I use them for every para fly I tie - and that's a lot of them. I also use them for nymphs, soft hackles, etc. As of yet I have never experienced any cracking - could be because with my family using them, flies do not last long. Nor have I experienced any fumes. I find the UV Cured durable and easy to use - once you've figured out what thickness, color, etc. you want and of course, where the danged light is hiding. :)

Pat

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”