Question About Metz Rooster Hackle

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Question About Metz Rooster Hackle

Post by billems »

I owned a bunch of Metz necks some 20 years ago. I always loved their colors, but quit buying them as the stems seemed overly thick, and the feather would often roll while hackling a traditional dry fly. I still prefer rooster neck hackle to the Whiting super saddles. I own some Whiting and Hoffman. But do any of you use and prefer Metz hackle? If so, have they bred out that infuriating "roll" I used to get when tying? Let's hear from Metz fans. (Yeah, '69 was really great, as was Seaver).

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Question About Metz Rooster Hackle

Post by Caneghost »

I used Metz 30 years ago and felt as you do - great colors, thick stems. Hoffman/Whiting OK but not a favorite. I prefer Charlie Collins hackled bred here, west of the Catskills. Wide array of wonderful colors and thin stems, stiff barbs, long feathers, everything you could want and very reasonably priced. My old Metz are still sitting in a box, several unused, as I first tried Collins hackle thirty years ago too at a show. Bought more as his production and availability increased.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

Metz had a problem, since Umqua bought Metz their quality has improved, to what extent I don't know. I can say this that there is some change with Metz and Umqua as they are dumping a lot of hackle on the market. I know of one retailer that bought $30K worth of saddles and he is not a Metz dealer. I heard of another retailer that bought as much or more. There are suppose to be a large selection of cree's that were sold.

Don't ask me who the retailers are cause I'm not sayin...

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

I tie flies commercially over the last 25 years and have accounts with Whiting, Metz and used to be able to secure hackles from Charlie. Charlies necks tie well but they are not overly full necks and they lack smaller hackles often size 18 and down. Whiting is great stuff and use the Hebert's also but never cared for how the hackles tilt back for dries. There prices are super high but the quality is there.

I worked for Mary Dette for over 15 years and she really liked Metz as the necks are full, you can go to small sizes and they do wrap well. I have heard this complaint about Metz having thick stems and twist but that was over 20 years ago. "Fisherman seem to have long memories on matters like this". Always amazed at how complaints about Metz remain after they made major changes years ago. My go to neck has been Metz for years but as in any breeder some of their shades are an issue as I have never liked their light dun shade. Brown, grizzly, dun shades, badger, light ginger are excellent.

happy tying Bohemian Bob

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

For Catskill style dry flies I prefer the less dense barbed Collins capes. For western style dry flies I like the high barb count Whiting, but I don't like the curved barbules you sometimes see.

Metz I skipped the past 20 years or so. Mainly because Whitings were readily available and affordable (can't say that anymore). But I'd like to try a cape or two to see where they are now.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Jim Slattery recently purchased a boatload of Metz rooster and hen capes, including Cree.

https://jimsflyco.com/Metz-Rooster-Cape ... spx?dID=11

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

I've used Metz years ago and still do upon occasion. I was never a fan due to the reasons stated above. I prefer Whiting and Hoffman saddles for dries etc. I have a few unused Metz capes available if someone wants them. I won't be using them any time soon.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Yeah I’ll volunteer

PENZZZ
Guide

Post by PENZZZ »

Please PM the colors you don’t want and I’ll let you know.

Edit: in fairness to all, post in Classified and I’ll take a look.

Jeff
"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of
knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Not a big Metz fan here either. I have a few newer half capes and the stems just seem thick. I replaced those colors with Collins hackle

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”