In 1949, who was the “best fly tier in the country?”

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Mike N
Master Guide

In 1949, who was the “best fly tier in the country?”

Post by Mike N »

According to the editor of Ford Motor Company’s “Lincoln Mercury Times” magazine, it was the expert consensus that in 1949 the title went to Joe Messinger, Sr. Here are are few photos of that article from 71 years ago.

Click on image to enlarge.

According to his son, Joe Messinger, Jr., his father did in fact use a vise on occasion, despite the article’s claim, for his famed deer hair flies like the Bucktail Frog and the Irresistible. Joe, Jr., now 76 and a renowned tier in his own right, remembers when the magazine’s photographer came to their Morgantown, WV home when he was only 5 years old.
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

ted patlen
Master Guide

Re: In 1949, who was the “best fly tier in the country?”

Post by ted patlen »

Great find. Very interesting, VERY interesting

Red64
Guide

Post by Red64 »

This is no slight to Mr. Messinger but I always cringe when I hear superlatives like. "best, greatest, finest" and on and on. I was told years ago when I was in University by a professor, "there is no such thing as an expert because there is always someone smarter than the "expert". I am on a Facebook page, Stillwaters, and some of the tyers that show flies they have tied put this 4 decade+ tyer to shame. Saying someone is 'the best' is highly subjective.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Ah but Red, he did say in 1949. That would have been about when I tied my first fly as a Cub Scout and think about the fur and feathers back in '49 versus what any of us tying today have available. For those who have seen and traded my flies and saying, "He started tying in 1949?". Give me a break since I missed about 55 years in there and just got fired the by bug again after I retired in 2010. :lol

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

When you look at the design of the Bucktail Frog and also see it in action in the water, it is elegant and brilliant. Then realize it was designed by Joe Sr around 100 years ago and there is no doubt to the man’s abilities and genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Red64 wrote:
10/20/20 15:24
This is no slight to Mr. Messinger but I always cringe when I hear superlatives like. "best, greatest, finest" and on and on.

Why would your small-minded commentary be a “slight to Mr. Messinger?” Joe, Sr. is quoted in the article as denying he was the best. Alas, one often cannot dissuade the opinions of others, much less the editors at Ford Motors.

PS: In 1949, Ted Williams was the best player in the major leagues, regardless of what your professor may have said, even though he lost the batting title by 0.0002 of a point to George Kell, and with it the chance to be the first to win the batting Triple Crown 3 times.

Mike N.
Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

Of course it's subjective. In 1949, you had Carrie Stevens, Art Flick, Lee Wulff, Helen Shaw, John Atherton, the Dettes, the Darbees, Preston Jennings, John Atherton, and a host of others still active. Any one of those could be called "the best" and somebody would have been able to come up with corroborating evidence to "prove" it. And just as many would have disagreed.

OldPa
Sport

Post by OldPa »

redietz wrote:
10/22/20 22:12
Of course it's subjective. In 1949, you had Carrie Stevens, Art Flick, Lee Wulff, Helen Shaw, John Atherton, the Dettes, the Darbees, Preston Jennings, John Atherton, and a host of others still active.
You forgot to mention John Atherton.

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

Not limited to 1949, but Mike Valla put together a solid Top 40+ list in his book:

(Click on photo to enlarge)

Mike N.
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

OldPa wrote:
10/23/20 18:41
Lousy editing on my part.

OldPa
Sport

Post by OldPa »

redietz wrote:
10/23/20 20:30
OldPa wrote:
10/23/20 18:41
Lousy editing on my part.
Just kidding. You picked the right guy to mention twice. His set of dry flies are among my favorites.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

OldPa wrote:
10/23/20 22:11
You picked the right guy to mention twice. His set of dry flies are among my favorites.
I had dithered about whether to include him (which is why he showed up twice.) I love his dry fly series, but I have serious reservations about whether to include someone who thought that that pheasant tail was an unsuitable body material.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

Being a Texan, this thread reminds me of the ages old Aggie (Texas A&M Univ.) joke about the reporter who went around the State asking the male students on every college campus in the State what country had the most beautiful women in the world. The answers were all over the board at all campuses, as one would expect. That is, until he got to the A&M campus where the response was unanimous, with the response being Italian. Being curious as why he was getting the same response, he finally asked a young cadet why they were all saying Italian. The cadet said that the answer was on the front page of the "Batt" (the campus newspaper "The Battalion"). And that the paper named "Hewggie Pippelina" as the sexiest of all. When pressed further, the cadet opened his copy of the paper to show the reporter. The Headline read: "5,000 Men Lay Huge Pipeline". Nuff said!!

BigDog57
Sport

Post by BigDog57 »

I wonder how seriously to take the word of a writer for an auto company's promo mag.
Messenger was clearly a great tyer.
But in that time era it seems a little presumptuous to ignore Harry and Elsie Darby and Walt Dette
Agree re Mike Valla's book - fascinating reading - I think I'll dig out my copy tonight

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Best? I would think (pardon me, Ford Motor Co.) "most famous" would be the better phrase. I know many tyers that are the equal of many that have been mentioned. They just don't publish writings or own stores. You'll never get me to buy into "the best."
Gary

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”