A&F and VL&A Chicago

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Mike N
Master Guide

A&F and VL&A Chicago

Post by Mike N »

Von Lengerke & Antoine (VL&A) in Chicago was sold to Abercrombie & Fitch in 1928. VL&A continued to operate under its own name until 1959 when it too became an A&F store. Here are a few flies and period retailer boxes.

(Click on image to enlarge)

Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

FreestoneVintage
Sport

Re: A&F and VL&A Chicago

Post by FreestoneVintage »

Thanks Mike! Interesting pieces, and they all look like they are in good shape.

Nate

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I've recently acquired some interesting items from A&F (Abercrombie & Fitch) so I'm reviving this post with hopes that others will add their various A&F, VL&A and VL&D items here.

I'll start with a few Items, which I no longer own

an A&F marked 2 5/8" Hardy Uniqua

a VL&A marked leather reel case

Cheers,
Joe

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

A & F leather fly wallet, flies were included. Age of flies?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

I just received this Reel/spool case, which I'm fairly certain is an Abercrombie & Fitch product, although there is no tag indicating such. Anyhow, it is the exact same pattern as the A&F Royal Stewart Tartan Plaid cases that can be found on the Internet and I'm certain that I've seen one of these "SxS" cases marked as A&F.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Okay, here is something that you don't see everyday. Here is a pre-Fitch marked David T. Abercrombie Pocket Heaterette that came in the original box with the original instructions. The box has a an Abercrombie & Fitch Co. sticker, so I suspect that this was sold slightly after Fitch took a stake in the company and the company rebranded in 1904. This is very similar to the Buddy version made in Japan and quite a bit thinner than the Jon-E heaters that I used back in the 70's.

Cheers,
Joe

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
09/18/21 16:31
Okay, here is something that you don't see everyday. Here is a pre-Fitch marked David T. Abercrombie Pocket Heaterette that came in the original box with the original instructions. The box has a an Abercrombie & Fitch Co. sticker, so I suspect that this was sold slightly after Fitch took a stake in the company and the company rebranded in 1904. This is very similar to the Buddy version made in Japan and quite a bit thinner than the Jon-E heaters that I used back in the 70's.

Cheers,
Joe
I'm a bit confused. I thought that the "David T. Abercrombie Company" was formed by Abercrombie after he left A & F.
Maybe it's just my advanced years.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Well, it looks like CWFLY is correct. His first company was Abercrombie Co., then renamed as Abercrombie & Fitch Co. Why this box had the A&F sticker while the heater itself had the David T. Abercrombie markings is a now a mystery to me. I'll use it to keep warm this winter.

BTW, if you don't require the box and instructions, these are nowhere near as rare as I first thought.

Cheers,
Joe

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
09/17/21 18:54
I just received this Reel/spool case, which I'm fairly certain is an Abercrombie & Fitch product, although there is no tag indicating such. Anyhow, it is the exact same pattern as the A&F Royal Stewart Tartan Plaid cases that can be found on the Internet and I'm certain that I've seen one of these "SxS" cases marked as A&F.

I guess, that I saw it in the A&F 1964 catalog, which I previously owned and just acquired again :-). The case was introduced in 1963.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Historically, I have not taken my silk lines off of my reels, but now that I have this cool A&F line storage system, I'll probably start removing them next Winter

Cheers,
Joe

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”