Mop Fly

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Lanny
Sport

Re: Mop Fly

Post by Lanny »

I really don't care what people fish, but I don't understand why some people are so against them. It can't be because they are synthetic, people use synthetics all the time. Is it their simplicity to tie? That they don't imitate something specific?

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Look, here's my offer. I received a big bunch of mop pieces of various colors from a friend who ties them for a shop. I anyone wants a few to try I will gladly send them a few. A couple of bland ones that you won't feel so guilty about trying and a few bright ones for dirty water. Also a couple of the new craze on the Blue River the Mega Worm with baby yarn. Just PM me your address and I'll get you a few.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Lanny, I can understand the real purists being against them just as they are any beadheads but for those who fish beadheads buggers and San Juan Worms it's just the idea of the fact they originated from cut off mop heads. If they had been originally just been called called yarn bugs they probably would not get the backlash they have among so many of the purists and semi-purists.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Just too easy - very little learned. Not complex. Boring.
Effective.

Norm's Mop shown in post 14 is the bees knees. I trade that Mop for Norm's.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”