Mop Fly

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Mop Fly

Post by PYochim »

I never heard of these things before this past weekend. Now they're everywhere. What's up with them?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Mop Fly

Post by ibookje »

You’re about 10 years late! :D

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

So when I first got into fly fishing someone told me about the Green Weenie, a neon green imitation of a hatchery pellet.... and I was immediately grossed out by the idea of it and avoided them like the plague. Fast forward 12 yearsish and I started fishing with a great crew from Rochester, they were sub surface assassins, the kind most of you would hate. But they were fun and good people to hang with and taught me a lot. Anyhow, it was with them that I first saw a Mop Fly, and they WRECKED fish with it. It blew my mind. This was when it was basically "new," whatever that means. You couldn't buy them. That was the fun of it. You had to go to Bed Bath And Beyond and Automotive stores to find cleaning products with these dreaded mop tendrils, and they were seriously deadly. Fish them on jig hooks so they rarely snagged the bottom, dub with something sparkly on the collar. It was insane.... until the day I realized.... it was a Green Weenie on steroids. I felt real gross about it, like I just found out I was related to the girl I was dating or something........ I had to do some deep soul searching and in the end I decided to only tie them in tan so they look like grubs!

But in all seriousness, they're very deadly if you fish subsurface. If you tie them be sure to pull the fluff off the end you cut off the mop to tie in so that you're lashing down the thread of it. You can even glue them to the shank a bit so they don't foul.

flyfish62
Sport

Post by flyfish62 »

yuppers they've been around for a bit now, I've got about 4 different colors and have caught a few fish with them, but they get heavy on the end of a 3/4wt rod so tend to not use them much.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

flyfish62 wrote:
01/27/21 14:56
Imageyuppers they've been around for a bit now, I've got about 4 different colors and have caught a few fish with them, but they get heavy on the end of a 3/4wt rod so tend to not use them much.

I've made some caddis variations with the mini ones, and they would work well with 4 wts.

MNJoe
Sport

Post by MNJoe »

I also think I read folks use mop flies as under water indicators, especially with multi-fly rigs. Haven't fished them myself yet

Joe

glster
Sport

Post by glster »

Never tried 'em, but in greyish-brown they might be taken for a crane fly larva?

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

You can fish them anyway you want to. You can swing them.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

the green weenie is an inch worm imitation rather than a food pellet imitation.
https://littleriveroutfitters.com/littl ... weenie.htm

DaveNJ
Master Guide

Post by DaveNJ »

crowebeetle wrote:
01/27/21 18:27
O0

flyfish62
Sport

Post by flyfish62 »

The orange and chartreuse are car cleaning mops the purple and yellow is a dog toy.

While not "mop" material, the second pic is "wormy" material available at the same retailersImageImage

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

crowebeetle wrote:
01/27/21 18:27
I had always understood it to be a caddis larva imitator. All eastern freestone streams have caddis larva that are just the color of a green weenie, charteuse. One is a case builder and another is a net spinner.

George Harvey used to do an inchworm/oak roller pattern from dyed spun deer hair. Quite a little fly.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Do Ragg Mopps work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDICP0c ... reload=102

Jay Edwards

Edit; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOrjlAy5M1Y

Have fun.................

Norm Frechette
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Norm Frechette »

the only "mop" i'd throw at a fish :D :D

The Mop

Hook - Streamer style
Thread - White
Body - Silver mylar tubing, tied down at the bend with white thread that then forms the butt
Throat - Yellow nylon fibers and red calf tail
Wing - Peacock herls, tips cut flat
Head - Silver with white eye and red pupil

Reference - Art of Angling Journal - Volume 2 Issue 1 Originator - Ora Smith

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

Mop flies? I'd sooner dunk dough balls off the dock for carp. >:D

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

ibookje wrote:
01/27/21 14:53
You’re about 10 years late! :D
Although I consider myself to be at the cutting edge of societal evolution this one escaped me.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

MNJoe wrote:
01/27/21 16:18
I also think I read folks use mop flies as under water indicators, especially with multi-fly rigs. Haven't fished them myself yet

Joe
Just came across this thread. Small, shallow, clear and fast streams I will use a pink mop as a subsurface indicator, and a way to get flies down without using split shot. White and Tan are effective, as I believe they imitate a grub better than anything else out there. I will use them with a natural (mainly pheasant tail) trailing when fishing new water to see what is in the stream, both stocked and wild fish will hit them. I have no qualms fishing them.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Tied these for the stocked winter waters of OK. Can't verify it myself though but the mop and the mega worm are the stocked rainbow killers. The megaworms are soft baby bunting yarns cut to various lengths. Going to try some 6-7" versions for bass this summer if I get out.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Could one of the secrets of the Mopflies success be that they hold scent so well?

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”