Who was Bert Quimby? Can you help ?? Maine fly tier .

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Lerouxagain
Sport

Who was Bert Quimby? Can you help ?? Maine fly tier .

Post by Lerouxagain »

When I was a younger man I used to drive up to Sebago Lake in Naples Maine and make my way to a camp on the water at what I think was Thompson Point. This camp was a local business called Quimby's . There was a older couple who out of their camp sold Flies and tackle , Smelts , Rented boats , and you could launch your boat there, these folks had everything you needed except the Landlock salmon . It was a spit to the Songo river and was about as convenient as a fishing experience could be in the 1970 and 80's . The older gentleman running the show was Bert Quimby . I didn't know until much later that he was a local fly tier who had his finger on the pulse of that cottage industry and tied flies for Himself , Bean and others . He invented the Green Ghost streamer fly and 7 or 8 other well known flies . Somehow that's where my story ends and this is where I need help ..... Anyone who knows more about Bert please share their knowledge with me . Thanks so much . Dan

flyrodman
Master Guide

Re: Who was Bert Quimby? Can you help ?? Maine fly tier .

Post by flyrodman »

Dan, missing the Black Ghost, card only. We used to launch our boat out of his place around 50 + years ago, and never had much luck trolling for Landlocked Salmon. Did catch a few.

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

I was fortunate enough 15 years ago to purchase Bert Quimby's beautiful F.E. Thomas Browntone 7' 6" 2/2 4/5wt. 3 1/2oz. built 11/2/51.

Dennis

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

firehole wrote:I was fortunate enough 15 years ago to purchase Bert Quimby's beautiful F.E. Thomas Browntone 7' 6" 2/2 4/5wt. 3 1/2oz. built 11/2/51.

Dennis
That is super cool!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

I chose to delete this post.
Last edited by cwfly on 04/07/21 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

Last line of OP's post.

Thanks so much . Dan
[/quote]

Seems to be a lot of anger everywhere lately.
tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

TT,
You are correct. Missed the TIA. My apologies to the OP.

Landon quimby

Post by Landon quimby »

:wave hello, I am Landon quimby, Bert was my great great grandfather and although I have not had the chance to meet him I understand he was a fly fishing legend, when my great grandparents passed we went and visited Maine where they grew up.
Lerouxagain wrote:
03/29/21 17:33
When I was a younger man I used to drive up to Sebago Lake in Naples Maine and make my way to a camp on the water at what I think was Thompson Point. This camp was a local business called Quimby's . There was a older couple who out of their camp sold Flies and tackle , Smelts , Rented boats , and you could launch your boat there, these folks had everything you needed except the Landlock salmon . It was a spit to the Songo river and was about as convenient as a fishing experience could be in the 1970 and 80's . The older gentleman running the show was Bert Quimby . I didn't know until much later that he was a local fly tier who had his finger on the pulse of that cottage industry and tied flies for Himself , Bean and others . He invented the Green Ghost streamer fly and 7 or 8 other well known flies . Somehow that's where my story ends and this is where I need help ..... Anyone who knows more about Bert please share their knowledge with me . Thanks so much . Dan

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”