Killarney Gem

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

flyrodman
Master Guide

Killarney Gem

Post by flyrodman »

Any idea who tied it? From Lang's Auction back in the 90's when they were in Boxborough, MA. Writing on the back to Paul from? I cannot make out the name and in fact the name I can't decipher may not have been the tier. When I removed it from my wall today, I noticed the backing needs to be re-glued

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Killarney Gem

Post by roycestearns »

I'm pretty sure that's a Charlie Chute fly and signature. The long tag, hook type and point. Notice he spelled Kilarney the Irish way, with one L . An Irish fly with no mallard roof or jay throat is surprising ;)

It appears there's been some bug damage, I can see the tail is missing, and some hackle has been eaten.

It could have been tied for Paul Martin, Paul Rossman, both very active in the 90's or a hundred other Paul's ;)

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”