A find within a find.

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

A find within a find.

Post by snorider »

Today I had a lunch meeting just down the block from the local thrift so I popped in to see what they had. Found an almost new Thompson “pro” vise in the box 6$. So I was pretty pleased when I left. Got home just now after work and started digging through the box. Some little plastic packages of hooks, spare parts for the vise, a new in the package Thompson hackle pliers and a bobbin. I was about to put it all away when something about the bobbin looked familiar. The F M stamp got me really smiling. An as new Matterelli full size bobbin! Matches my other small bobbin and completes my set of Frank’s tools. Happy Friday
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Re: A find within a find.

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Great!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

Truly Good Friday in more ways than one.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

Usually when I walk out of Thrift Shops I find I'm missing something, NOT getting something extra! :) Of course, what else would happen to a guy who took a load of rubble from a home repair project to the dump and found a rolled up stash of Winston Bamboo Fly Rods? I sure don't have your luck, but I'm sure happy for you! :)

Pat

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

SCORE!!! :)

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Geez Michael - for the price of a fancy coffee! I bought the same vise pretty well in 1982 or so, and it’s still doing it’s job very nicely. They’re pretty bulletproof - I just don’t use it nearly enough!

Well done on the double find, it’s a great feeling when we stumble upon a bit of treasure like that.
Last edited by adrien schnee on 04/03/21 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

A neighbor of mine picked up a mint condition Pfleuger Medalist 1495 at an antique store here in town. I normally don't trust the designation, "Never Used" unless it came from the mouth of the original owner but I would make an exception for this one. He also found two high end glass rods there in immaculate condition.
Last edited by PYochim on 04/04/21 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

Lucky Stiff!!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

You know finding treasures is a blessing and a curse, I can still not drive past the Madison County landfill without taking a peek Pat.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Wow, lucky find.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

This is really neat for me as I have the exact bobbin and always thought it was just a run of the mill piece. I took an 8 week fly tying class at my wife's recommendation over 30 years ago and included in the package was a Thompson vise, hackle pliers and this bobbin. Vise and hackle pliers are history but this bobbin stayed and has seen a lot of thread spools. It just feels good in the hand and it plainly works! Makes me feel good to know now that what I have is a quality piece.

PAGH
Guide

Post by PAGH »

snorider,
Congratulations! I enjoy thrifting as well, but can’t recall ever seeing fly fishing items. But you live in MT so I’m sure that helps.🤓

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

Congrats!! It’s good to notch a win once in a while in the thrift store game!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Aww, dang, life's not fair.... :rollin

Attaboy 'Sno, no doubt you deserved it! Good to see a win/win now and then.

Still, I'm stickin' with my first assessment! :lol

Jeremy.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Do we know if Frank Materelli invented this style of bobbin. I don't remember ever seeing one previously. I'm pretty sure he did invent the Materelli whip finisher.

Jay Edwards

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”