Is this a Hardy Bros fly?Hercules Cut Cast tin

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Lerouxagain
Sport

Is this a Hardy Bros fly?Hercules Cut Cast tin

Post by Lerouxagain »

Hi, Can some one tell me who marketed this tin , the fly is missing . Hardy, Allcock ??Thanks. Dan

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Is this a Hardy Bros fly?Hercules Cut Cast tin

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Something to consider : Was the sticker affixed later - and not part of the tin ?
it kinda looks like a gum tin
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Lerouxagain
Sport

Post by Lerouxagain »

Hi, Not a gum tin . I have found these before . I bet Dean Smith can tell me .

waltryan1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by waltryan1 »

A "cast" of flies is generally 2 or more flies on a single leader. Did thid hold a cast of flies on a gut leader?
Walt

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

This a match case, as seen by the strike plate on the bottom. These were a popular advertising form with British sporting goods companies like Hardy and are popular among collectors today.They were often handed out to customers to compliment their purchases. Hercules Gut Leaders are being advertised here but would not have been packaged inside this case which is too small to contain one. Gut leaders were made from silk worm gut, usually sourced in Spain, but made and packed in England for sporting goods companies like Hardy. They were packaged in water resistant paper envelopes similar to our modern mono leaders today.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”