The Davidson Special.

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

upstate
Master Guide

The Davidson Special.

Post by upstate »

The Davidson Special. This fly was the creation of Moholon Davidson a semi forgotten fly tier who had a store in DeBruce New York a long the Willowemoc river in the Catskills. Active in the first part of the last century he was also a rod builder of solid wood rods. Recently at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center in Livingston Manor N.Y. I was involved with cataloguing many of the museums acquisitions. I got to view many of his documented flies and could easily see why he should be considered one of the great Catskill tiers! I also got to handle and examine solid wood turned rods as he produced. Works of Art. For the body of this fly he used light Fox fur dyed with willow bark to create a slightly Olive cast. I mixed olive with Lt. Fox to achieve this effect.

Hook. Daiichi 1180 size 12.
Silk. Pearsalls gossamer golden olive #11.
Wing. Wood duck.
Tail. Wood duck.
Body. Lt. Fox mixed with olive.
Hackle. Light ginger.

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Re: The Davidson Special.

Post by GrsdLnr »

A classic fly, beautifully done.

Waybar

Post by Waybar »

A beautiful looking fly that is well tied.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing that. I am not familiar with his work but I should dig in. Clearly a talented Tyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”