Law Vise

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Law Vise

Post by BigTJ »

Bob people don’t buy LAW vises to tie better flies. They buy them so they enjoy tying flies more and to collect.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

BigTJ wrote:
10/03/21 22:51
Bob people don’t buy LAW vises to tie better flies. They buy them so they enjoy tying flies more and to collect.
I understand that as I alao enjoy tying flies (lots of flies!) but I prefer the extra money in my back pocket so I can buy other things, including more fly tying materials.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

BigTJ wrote:
10/03/21 08:07
Doesn’t seem like madness to me any more than somebody paying $10k for a garrison when they can buy a new repro for $1,000. I just paid $700 for a new Dyna King 10x that would be $7,000.

LAW vises are every bit the work of art a beautifully made rod or reel are and unlike fly fishing you can use a vise at home for as short of period of time as 5 mins a day so you can get a lot of use out of one.

That is as good a rationalization as any. Law vises are way over hyped and insanely over priced. I have borrowed a Law and it was not some type of magical experience. Was not any better than any of the other well machined high end vises but was on a par and very nice. Your flies are not be any better because you tie with a law vise. Just a status thing but I am OK with that. HMH's TVR is basically the same concept and I love to tie with that. I'm all for blowing ungodly sums of money on tackle and cane is my vise. "No pun intended."

Regarding copies of classic cane I have yet to find anyone that truly matches original Payne's, Leonard's and Garrison's, Youngs ect. There always something lacking and how could you match all the variables and or special techniques used by the original builders. It is impossible.

No question. Buying all this unnecessary often collectable fly fishing stuff is great fun.
Last edited by bob2935 on 11/12/21 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I'm waiting for the LA LAW vise. I hear that Spader and Schattner both tie on it.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

I have both a 'Law' and a Dyna-King Professional (30+ years old!).
I'm so used (and love) to the Dyna-King that I use it 99%+ of the time.

The one thing I just don't like with (semi) in-line rotary vises is the limited room behind the head. That's how the rotary idea works. However I can certainly enjoy & appreciate the design of the Law vise. The proportional hook tightening using the star wheel has both pros (you don't crush a fine dry fly hook) and cons ("jeez why is the hook moving now...").

The Dyna-King has a very practical way to hold the hook. With the cap that holds the jaw, you can adjust the pressure of the holding mechanism. I haven't adjusted this cap for ages (20+ years?) because I think it holds small hooks (you guys know I love tying Catskill dry flies right?) and large hooks (I like to tie deer hair bugs too) equally well with the current setting. And the jaw holds the hook!

For large hook sizes there's a pocket in the jaw where the hook get's 'trapped' so rather than only the pressure of the jaw, the pocket really helps keeping the large hook in its place.

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”