Law Vise

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Law Vise

Post by Hellmtflies »

So bring me up to speed. What would a mint unused Law Vise be worth today?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Law Vise

Post by ibookje »

Difficult to gauge a value on these as it’s not readily available to see an ‘average value’. Could be anything from $1500 to what a fool is willing to pay.

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

I would not be surprised if one could get $3000 or more for a mint example. But that’s just a guess.

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Saw this on another forum.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Madness...

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

I guess the LAW vise must tie better flies that catch more trout, eh?

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

I’d be afraid to touch it. (I thought better of this comment after reading those below)
Last edited by Dwight on 06/27/21 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

It would likely depend on what accessories it had and the type of base. If it is a pedestal base, I would suspect you could get around $3,000. If it has both a pedestal and c-clamp, maybe $3,500. As a frame of reference, I sold my LAW vise at the peak of the market for $5,800 (it had both bases and a few rare accessories). I regretted it and bought another for $2,250 a couple of years ago.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

I tie on mine pretty much daily. Have put thousands of hours on it and you would be hard pressed to look at it and not say it was brand new. Use the pedestal but never the c-clamp, Also have the back mirror which is really nice for seeing the other side of the fly when tying. Well though out, a quality product. Have done a lot of tying demos and worked in several fly shops teaching tying. As a result I have been fortunate enough to try a host of different vices. The Law is still the finest I tie on. People on this site should not be shocked or berate people who spend $. Just look at the price of some Bamboo rods and classic reels. I was very fortunate when I bought Lawrence's vice from him for a modest price at the time.
Last edited by Silver Doctor on 06/27/21 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Silver Doctor wrote:
06/25/21 08:31
...People on this site should not be shocked or berate people who spend $. Just look at the price of some Bamboo rods and classic reels.
Precisely my thought when we question what someone else is willing to pay for something they want. It's their money and let them enjoy it while we can.

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

One sold on eBay UK last week for £5000 UK sterling .

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

joaniebo wrote:
06/24/21 19:01
I guess the LAW vise must tie better flies that catch more trout, eh?
Oh, but by all means ;-)

Luckily, mine isn't mint but well-used...

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Thanx folks. There is one available here in Montana but I'm still recovering from sticker shock. :) I may have to sell a rod or two first. :)

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Am I correct in thinking this is just one of those little mechanical device that holds a hook? For 5000 sterling? OK
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Hellmtflies,

The vise is cool but his reels are truly something to see.

I had the opportunity to buy a vise from Lawrence years ago for $600 bucks and passed it up. I must have talked with him for 30 minutes on the phone. He was really nice and said his delivery time was 6 weeks.

I was also eyeing one of his reels, which are even more rare, for about the same money but he said he didn't have any more reels. That was when my boys were 6 and 1 and money was tight, back around 2003 I think.

I have seen the vises up close and quite frankly, I think his vises are wonderful but not for the kind of money folks are asking and paying these days. Thinking if truly unused, then $2000 bucks maybe? It's the rarity that is driving the prices for sure.

LAW reels on the other hand, wow, simply wow! Once you hold one, you want it, bad. Had Lawrence had any I would have bought a reel over the vise.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

DrLogik wrote:
06/30/21 08:30
Hellmtflies,

The vise is cool but his reels are truly something to see.

I had the opportunity to buy a vise from Lawrence years ago for $600 bucks and passed it up. I must have talked with him for 30 minutes on the phone. He was really nice and said his delivery time was 6 weeks.

I was also eyeing one of his reels, which are even more rare, for about the same money but he said he didn't have any more reels. That was when my boys were 6 and 1 and money was tight, back around 2003 I think.

I have seen the vises up close and quite frankly, I think his vises are wonderful but not for the kind of money folks are asking and paying these days. Thinking if truly unused, then $2000 bucks maybe? It's the rarity that is driving the prices for sure.

LAW reels on the other hand, wow, simply wow! Once you hold one, you want it, bad. Had Lawrence had any I would have bought a reel over the vise.
Thank you. Great insight.

Kookie

Post by Kookie »

A used LAW vise just sold on the auction site for $4,173. I guess we all wish we would have bought one way back when.

bob2935
Master Guide

Post by bob2935 »

Total madness.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Doesn’t seem like madness to me any more than somebody paying $10k for a garrison when they can buy a new repro for $1,000. I just paid $700 for a new Dyna King 10x that would be $7,000.

LAW vises are every bit the work of art a beautifully made rod or reel are and unlike fly fishing you can use a vise at home for as short of period of time as 5 mins a day so you can get a lot of use out of one.

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by joaniebo »

I have a HMH Spartan vise and two "Tierra del Fuego" rotary vises that I bought about 20 years ago. I paid something like $99.00 each for the TdF pedestal vises (and an extra C-clamp). Most of the flies I tie have been on the TdF vise and I use the HMH vise only rarely.

Personally, I don't think that more expensive equipment, or materials, make much difference in the flies I tie. Whether I use the (now) expensive Gossamer silks or YLI silks, the trout still take the fly.

Bob

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”